Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"My Computer" icon not on XP desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

centerjc

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
US
A week or so ago I was reading some article about optimizing xp performance. It had me launch some kind of config utility with a gui and gave all kinds of options to
turn this and that on or off in order to better the
performance of the machine.I selected a check box that turned off the "My Computer" icon on the desktop. I never
used the my computer icon to look at anything on the system, I've always used Windows Explorer to find what I wanted.
Yesterday I wanted to find a document in my data directory. I opened Windows Explorer and to my surprise, there was no "My Computer" inside! There was no way for me to
browse to the location where I thought the file might be located and without a file name I was screwed.
I've been all over the net trying to find out what configuration tool I used to hide the icon in the first place. I was unsuccessful!
I did finally find a reg hack that turns the "My Computer" icon on or off but I'd sure like to figure what I used to turn it off in the first place! Also this "fix"
only places the icon on the desktop, when opened the icon has nothing inside of it.
Help, I'm going nuts...

tia,
centerj@comcast.net

Try right clicking on the desktop > properties > desktop > customize desktop & check the box for "My Computer" under desktop icons. Does this help?

X

If you can't do it from the Desktop Properties, but My Computer is on the Programs menu, then do START | PROGRAMS, then right-click on My Computer, drag it to the desktop, and create a shortcut.

S

to Xqate: that places the icon on the desktop but when I open it, nothing shows inside!
to Shinken: My Computer doesn't show in the start menu.

Again, I managed to turn off my computer thru some config utility/command that allowed me to uncheck a box that said "show my computer on desktop"
thanks for your answers

Start, Run, regedit

Navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
There should be a value "LocalizedString", Data Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ (Expanded String Value) with the contents:
@%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,-9216

If this entire key is missing, or the values have been changed, go to a working machine and export just that CLSID key to a file. Then use regedit on on non-working machine and import the saved .reg file. Reboot and test.

Next go to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types.
In the list of file types, highlight "(NONE) Folders". Click Advanced button, In the Actions box, highlight "Open" Click "Set Default"

Generally speaking centerjc. When you have My Computer listed on your Start Menu, it will never be on your desktop also.

You need to right click on your taskbar (a blank area) and select Properties. Then click on the Start Menu tab at the top. Then tell it to use Classic Start Menu.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Whoa,

Generally speaking, if you right-click a blank area of the desktop, Properties, Desktop tab, Customize Desktop, and checkmark for the display of "My Desktop" it will appear and work.

thanks bcastner, but your fix didn't work. The registry key WAS there exactly as you indicated. I followed the "Next go to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types.
In the list of file types, highlight "(NONE) Folders". Click Advanced button, In the Actions box, highlight "Open" Click "Set Default", but that didn't help either.

The "My Computer" icon does appear on the desktop but when I open it, it is empty. However, if I open Windows Explorer then open My computer in that window, it is fully populated.

jim

And if we try:

Next go to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types.
In the list of file types, highlight "(NONE) Folders". Click Advanced button, In the Actions box, highlight "explore" Click "Set Default"

Thanks very much bcastner. Your last post fixed the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back