Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Msconfig" for Windows 95?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I know that there is a very helpful program called Msconfig for Windows 98, and I'm wondering if there is that same program for my Windows 95? On Windows 98se, if you go to Start, Run, and type Msconfig, you get a wonderful diagnostic program to test sound, video, hardware, and sytem performance! Is it available for Windows 95?

MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting tool for Windows'98 - Someone out there may correct me, but No, there is'nt a Windows'95 version.

Find a win98 version. Copy it to win95. It supposedly works, no trouble, but I haven't got 95 around to try it on. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Couple other freeware programs:

Startup Control Panel

Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts. It's simple to use and, like all my programs, is very small and won't burden your system. A valuable tool for system administrators!

Startup Cop. Here's a link:

reghakr

Actually, MSCONFIG is just a nice interface to look at your system files and startup folder, essentially. There is another interface that both 95 and 98 have that is called SYSEDIT (accessed in the same: START - RUN...) It accomplishes the same thing but without the nice interface, it just opens the files in NOTEPAD for you to edit. Maybe there is another program that you are thinking of that may test sound and whatnot, but MSCONFIG isn't it. All it does is give you a nice interface for your system.ini win.ini protocol.ini autoexec.bat config.sys and startup options.

Oh, sorry! The program I'm thinkning of is Dxdiag.exe, a directX troubleshooting program, sorry. Does Windows 95 have THIS? It tests harware, video, sound card, and 3D rendering!

you will get dxdiag.exe when you install direct x. just search for it on your c: drive., im not sure which version of directx supplies it but i know v.7.0 has it If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back