Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Month" test on a TEXT returns different results on different machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnerjs

MIS
Mar 28, 2001
CA
We are a small utility company and everyone is connected to the same databases through servers.

My query 'groups' data by various fields. One of these is the 'text' date field named 'ILCRDJ'.

The field in the query is Month:Month([ILCRDJ])

The first two records have values of "03/15/01" and "03/12/01" in the ILCRDJ field.

On my machine the value returned in the Month field of the first 2 records is 3 and 12.

On 2 other machines running the same query the value returned is 3 and 3.

Does anyone know what could be different on my machine, versus the other machines?

It looks like Access Query assumes the 4th and 5th digits are the month field, unless the value is > 12, then it uses the value from the 1st and 2nd digits to assign the Month value.

I have tried CDATE on my machine with the same results.

Somewhere in the universe there exists something (often) referred to as "International Settings". Here, the format of date fields may be set to Euro (dd/mm/yy) or US (mm/dd/yy) among others of which I know even less. I suspect your machine has had a visitor to this area.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

One of our tech guys found the probable answer

My Control panel, Regional Setting, Date tab default setting for my short date format was dd/mm/yy

my long date format was mmmm d, yyyy

We changed them to short date = m/d/yy and long date format to dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy

Everything appears to work

I have run these queries before, but not for a few months - how the regional setting became different, I don't know????

MichaelRed - I received your response as I was entering my response - thank you for responding and it appears to be the reason for the differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back