Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Missing Index relation" on dBase VI for DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincemexicano

Programmer
Aug 21, 2003
MX
Hello again,

Whe work with dBase VI for DOS on Dos Windows in Win98 and 2000 proffesional workstations. Our server is Netware 5.1 SP 5.

Since last year, we have has a problem with indexes files: when you try to use the file with index (use xx tag yy), dBase tells you that the index doesn't exist. We use the command "set index to" and links the index file with the table.

Does anybody knows what is happening and Why?, and How to resolve it?

Thansk a lot

From your description, it appears you are expecting to use a production .MDX file (same name as the database). I'm wondering if the index file itself or the reference to it in the database header have become corrupt somehow.

I would try recreating the indexes and see if that doesn't correct the problem. INDEX ON MyField TAG TagName. If the problem is in the database header, one might have to actually delete the exising .MDX file (after backing it up elsewhere) and recreate the indexes with INDEX ON...... this may force a rewrite to the .DBF header.

HTH
dennis

Usually, we ran "set index to " command and link the index for a few hours. I tried to rebuild the index file, but it unlinked again.

This usually ocurs seven or eigth times a day. The tables are accessed betwen twelve to twenty users at same time and it uses rlock() technique to avoid concurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back