Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Merging" a Win2k Profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank668

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
CA
Hi, I got a client that is currently in Orlando and I want him to access his DOMAIN profile (at work) when he is NOT connected onto his Domain. He currently connects to his own computer using Administrator login and I am unable to go where he is (1000 KM away...!) to solve his problems...

Is there any way to "Copy" or "Use" or "Merge" his Domain profile to his "This Computer" profile without losing data???

Thanks, this is urgent!

-Frank

The best answer is no.

What you need to do is figure out a reliable remote access solution.

Google the variations on VNC.

He would be logged in with his appropriate Profile, and you can run thinks remotely.

VNC has several variants, but even the most plain vanilla version is free and would resolve the real problem, getting access.

Well I won't be able to make him install VNC on his computer because he is far far away from me and he needs his profile... like right now!

Thanks, Frank.

A VNC install would be a heckofa lot easier to explain than a Profile change; and a lot more effective for you.

And the answer is still no. You cannot "merge" profiles between the local console Administrator and the Domain Admistrator rights.

The biggest issue will be NTFS ACLs, and registry permissions.

The best solution is still to have a remote connection, (the remote site can install it under your instruction) and flip between local console and Domain Logon with the username and permissions you need.

Frank - what aspects of the domain profile does he need? (and are you talking about the local copy of it on his machine?). Because it would be possible to copy things like documents and mail from local domain profile to his local profile.

I got my problem solved by having him to log on to his computer using the domain login, altough, the computer doesn't find the domain but that is okay.

I should consider a IPSec-protected VPN in the future.

-Frank

yes - that will be using cached credentials/local copy of his profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back