Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"memory could not be read" problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtphoto

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
GB
Win XP sp1 256meg ram duron 1200

I have a folder in My Documents which I copied from a CD. When I try to explore this folder I get the following message;

The instruction at "0x77f755e9" referenced memory at "0x00000014", the memory could not be "read".

If I move the folder elsewhere on the C: drive I don't get a problem, but if I move it back it re-occurs.

I think this may be linked with a problem I am having with Nero version 5, when open folders to drag files across for copying all is fine untill I try to access files in My Documents, then it almost grinds to a halt.

I have no screen savers, anti virus, or anything else running in the background as far as I know.

Please help!!

This is an old NT problem that seems to come around every so often. I tend to get it when I am shutting down Outlook.

Bascially you live with it since there's no cure....and MS won't recognise its an error.

You could swap every part in your PC, but its won't make a difference. I can tell you it has nothing to do with any specific type of hardware since I have seen it on Intel and AMD machines, both with VIA / Intel etc Mobos, and nothing to do with memory either mismatched or bad.

Tez

Backups are great but checking if you can restore is more fun.

Do you have Norton installed ? I found Norton can caused this problem in XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back