Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"makemap hash" lost text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgemba

MIS
May 12, 2003
US
Somehow, I accidently over-wrote the file I used to create my "access.db". Since I did not run the "makemap hash" command, sendmail is still using the db I last compiled.

The db was created from a very long list of addresses I did not want to receive mail from.

Is there a way for me to continue using my current db file and yet add additional addresses to my list without losing all the info in the compiled db file?

Can I reverse the "makemap hash" and retrieve my original file?

jgemba@hotmail.com

There's a slim chance that you have a backup of 'access' or whatever the text files name was. Some editors (gedit)create a backup of a file every time you edit it. It will have the same name as the original but with a "~" after it i.e. access~.

You can also access the values if you view the [tt]access.db[/tt] file with a hexeditor or similar.

//Daniel

I have the same issue. It would be great to read the .db file, and if I can do it with a hexeditor, that would be great, but I have never used a hexeditor, and do not know what may already be installed on my system. Using sendmail on a customized RH Linux 5.1 system.

cat access.db | tr -cs '[:print:]' '[\n*]'

not pretty, but should give you a quick idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back