Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"mailto" link in pdf doc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsbbr

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I would like to place a link in a pdf document that opens up an email message pre-addressed to our organization. The original document is formatted in Quark, i.e., it's not an HTML document.

I know how to put a link to a web URL in a pdf. But I've searched manuals, the web, the Adobe site, and some of the forums here, and I can't find an answer to the above question, although I found the html code in several places.

Can this even be done? If so, how? --or if you could direct me somewhere that might have an answer....

Thanks for your help.

You have to create a hyperlink with the format

Code:
mailto:tgreer@tgreer.com?subject=This%20is%20a%20test.

Thomas D. Greer
Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Okay, in spite of the designation after my handle, I am not a techie. I tried putting your text in Quark, which didn't work.

I tried creating a hyperlink in the pdf and inserting your text where I'd normally put the URL, and apparently I don't know how to do this for an email.

I think I need a little more detail. Sorry, and thanks for your patience.

gsbbr--

Just to make sure you're beginning at the beginning:

Open the Advanced Editing toolbar (under View/Toolbars).
Click on the yellow chain icon to get the Link Tool.
Outline the text you want to carry a "mailto" link.
In the dialogue box that opens, click the Open a Web Page radio button, then enter "mailto:gsbbr@organization.com" in the Address box (without the quotes).
Click OK and you're home free.
You can change the address by mousing over the area with the link, right-clicking, and choosing Properties.

Good luck!

I was able to create the mailto: link without any problem. My problem comes when I click on the link it opens a mail message while also opening my browser window. Is there anyway to stop the browser window from opening.

Depends on the computer setup. The way most computers are set up, the browser opens first because it has to interpret the HTML code. There's a way to stop that, but it's an individual computer setting (that I can't remember), not a PDF setting.

Rick Henkel
Senior Systems Developer

I don't have a clue why it works now and didn't before, but at this point I'm just glad it works.

Thanks, poblano, for spelling the steps out for me.

Oh, I know what I was doing wrong. I was entering the HTML "mailto" text (HREF, etc.) in the Web page field instead of Poblano's simplified version. A star for Poblano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back