Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"localhost" displays differently than my ip adress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

taifunbrowser

Technical User
Sep 17, 2006
US
Well, it does! Typing "localhost" into my browser displays my apache index.php, with a "hello world", but typing in my ip adress (which I am sure is correct) does not!

in fact, it returns nothing!

I have a dyndns account under "taifunbrowser.mine.nu" and like my ip, it displays nothing.

This frustrates me to no end. I reuninstalled and reinstalled xampp and still not working! Please, any advice that could perhaps cause this?

Hm...good question. Is you site bound to the IP address? I don't know much about Apache, however...

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

well, before, simply typing in my ip adress into the browser was enough to see my site <_<

but now, because that doesnt work, and dyndns just links to my ip adress, they both return the "same kind of nothing..." if that makes sense?

localhost:80 works, changed it to listen to 4000, andt hen localhost:4000 was needed, but still no "my url":4000...

so its back to 80 now

when you enter localhost, I am assuming that Apache is "listening" on IP address 127.0.0.1 (which is localhost), and not your IP address. You may want to re-check your configuration settings. Hope this helps

Sorry for bringing back old threads but, I googled and got this post.

We're having the same problem here but ... could someone elaborate on itsp1965's post?

BTW ... this is with Win2000 and IIS (not apache). When we create the "web site" in IIS we specified the IP address (the machine's IP) but still only localhost:81 work and not IP:81.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karinne, as it pertains to localhost. Localhost refers to the something called the loopback address of your machine. This is used to test to ensure that the TCP/IP protocol is working on your machine. Localhost's IP address is 127.0.0.1 so saying is the same as saying If you are having a problem by typing (when works), you will need to take a look at the DNS setting for servername to ensure that it is able to resolve using that address. Hope this helps.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back