Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"LiveUpdate" no longer runs successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamishjones

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
I have Norton SystemWorks 2002, purchased Jan. 2002. Until recently I was able to run LiveUpdate -- important, since at the very least, I'd like to keep up to date on virus definitions. But now it always fails to connect and obtain the new definitions: when I run LiveUpdate, I get the following series of messages:

Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com
Downloading catalog file, 0% (which is replaced by):
Downloading catalog file, not available
Connecting to liveupdate.symantec.com
Connecting to update.symantec.com
LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog fule of available Symantec product and component updates. Please verify that you are able to connect to the Internet and try LiveUpdate again.
LiveUpdate session is complete.

And so it ends.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Since I bought the program from Symantecn last January, I should be able to download updates for Norton Anti-Virus until at least the end of this year.

Sounds like the client is not able to connect to the update site. Has anything changed on your PC? Have you installed a firewall product?

Run the LiveUpdate from the menu, then click on the configure button. Is LiveUpdate using the default internet configurations in the control panel?

Have your recently changed your ISP? Does your ISP have a dialer that it must use? IE AOL?

Charles

CharlesEmmons makes a good point about a firewall. Also make sure you are not behind a NAT (a problem for alot of gamers) and if you are you may have to open a port to allow live update to connect.

Assuming that your subscription for deffinitions are up to date and you have access to the web etc.... you may have been hit by a virus that dissabled a feature in/of NAV.

Friday I was at a client's and we could not update any deffinitions despite the fact that we still had another month on the subscription. Looking at it a little closer I noticed that NAV autoprotect was disabled.

Clicking on any of these resulted in a quick flash of the program and nothing was ever executed.

On a hunch I installed a viri fix specific to Bugbear (having seen alot of Bugbear lately) and sure enuf I cought over 6 files and had them fixed/deleted.

After that we were good to go and update and emable realtime autoprotect. I would check for that and/or any others like klez, elkhern, magister. These seem to be the most common ones and are easily disinfected from your system.

If all those fail and a complete scan reveals nothing, I would uninstall and reinstall 2002 and update all definitions.

Just a thought.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back