Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"k Server with XP Pro Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewishardwick

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I wonder if you guys can help.

I am running a Windows 2000 Small Business Server. On an ML350. All the desktop PC's are running XP Professional.

I seem to have a problem with file locks, and crashing programs.

The users are running Office *cringe* 97, and having regular stability problems. When it crashes they can not get back into the file they were working on, and when I check the server the lock is still open.

Initially we thought this was becuase some machines had Word 2000 so these were rolled back in line. But the problem is still persistant. When the user logs off all the locks are cleared and they are happy again, but it is a very regualr occurrance.

Does any one else have any experience of this sort of thing happeneing? Is it an XP/SBS problem?

I am upgrading all the office packages to Office XP this weekend and Im not 100% convinced that this will resolve the problem.

Any ideas peeps?

Many thanks

A frustrated

Lewis Hardwick

Oh and I thought I should add. All users have Roaming Profiles. - If that is of relevance.

Cheers again

Lewis

Hi,

I have not seen this on SBS so I am not 100%, but try this and let us know if it worked:

You do it on the client side so you do not need to mess up your whole network if it did not work, which is kind of nice ;-)

Best Regards
Mattias Kressmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back