Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Invalid Data Format" Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbro

Programmer
Nov 12, 2004
US
Hi I've been working on VB project for the last little while and all of a sudden when I loaded it I get an "Invalid Data Format" error.

This error occurs when I load the project, I can see my forms but I can't access the code and I can't change my references or the error appears again. I believe the error is some sort of reference error but I can't do anything inside VB without getting an error message. I've tried exporting my forms but it doesn't work. I need help!

Thanks,
Mike

I'm not sure what is causing this problem. From your description, I would check the log files. Let me explain.

VB stores source code in files. Each form has 1 OR 2 files associated with it. There is an FRM file and sometimes an FRX file. Vb also stores source code in BAS files for modules and CLS files for class modules.

You should check the fodler where you have your source code. If you see any files that have a .log extension, you'll know that VB had a problem opening the source code associated with it.

For example, if you have a frmMain in your app, you should have a file named frmMain.frm, and you may have an frmMain.frx. If VB has a problem loading frmMain, it will create a frmMain.log. This log file is ASCII, so you can open it in notepad and see what the error is. If you have any .log files, and you can't determine what is causing the problem, or how to fix it, then post the contents of the log file in this thread and we'll take a look.

Of course, it's possible that I am way off base here and your real problem is elsewhere. Good luck.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Hi, thanks for responding. I should have mentioned that it was a VBA project imbedded in AutoCad. This means that it doesn't export the forms and modules each time its run, nor does it actually produce a log file...it's not enjoyable.

Read faq222-2244 to get the best from these forums. It will show you how to find the correct forum for your question.

Have a browse through forum687 (AutoCAD) and forum707 (VBA) and see which looks better for you. Remember that cross posting is discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back