Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"internal error" trying to access my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

violaboy

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
Hello

I'm getting an "internal error" when trying to open the my computer icon. Any ideas why and what I can do about it. I've thought about running the system file checker, but I'm anxious about using it considering it can sometimes extract a file that's the wrong version. Speaking of which...what files have you all run across that are detrimental to try and replace? User.exe?? any others. Thanks for your help.

In order for me to be of any use, I need MORE information.
I mean, very specific information regarding your internal error.

I would need to see the EXACT error message as it is displayed for you.
( Quite honestly, I would take the information and head for the MS KB, the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I may also have a clue just by looking at the error itself. There is much to be learned from being able to see Exact error.)

As it stands, what your asking is like asking a Doctor over the phone to diagnose a headache, when all you tell him is that your head hurts.
* There could be 1000 reasons *

It also helps to give a description of your computer, the hardware, and also detail WHEN you get this error.
Is it anytime ?
Is it ONLY on the INTERNET ?
When using Photoshop ?

You see, this type of information is really needed to limit the 1000+ choices down to a narrow range where the problems can be isolated.

The more information that you post, the more likely that the Geeks here can help you.

I realize the ambiguity of the problem and that's where my problem is as well. I've tracked down several fatal exception error codes, but this is unlike anything I've ever seen. The error is, "an internal error has occurred" and that's it. No codes, numbers, or detailed descriptions. This is while trying to open the "my computer" icon anytime the machine is on. This is with win98SE with all updates. Scandisk, Norton, and restored registry have not helped. Sorry I can't give you much more information. It is an Intel celeron if that really makes a difference. Thanks for any help you can give me. Couldn't find much in the knowledge base, but I don't have much to use for a query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back