Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Insufficient Memory" while rebooting (botscan.exe) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroka

MIS
Oct 11, 2001
IL
I am getting the "insufficient memory" notice in DOS, while my Windows 98 SE starts up, after the POST happened.
That is, after the BIOS starts, the bootscan.exe suppose to scan the C drive. After 20 seconds where nothing happens, I get a "Insufficient Memory" and asked to press any key. Once I do, it skpis and goes on to the rest of the reboot action. But this is new, as the botscan used to work until 4 days ago.
Why is that? This hasn't happen before and I have done nothing with my McAfee apart from updating the Vshield DATs.
Please help!
E.

Similar prob: Win98SE + VScan 6.0; did a 'clean' install having removed prior Vscan.
Then found Autoexec.bat called: "c:\...\bootscan.exe c:\" which always hung bootup. (Repeated clean installs a couple more times... same thing.) Changed this command line to:
"c:\...\scan86.exe c:\"
and no longer hangs. (I have know idea why this works; I found it on-line regarding some older version 4?)
...claude

Oh, one more... The 'insufficient memory' error didn't happen until updating
to the DAT file to "4164xdat.exe"; the original "4157xdat.exe" had NO boot
problem. (?) A cousin said he is having same prob w/ 4160 (I think).
...claude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back