Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"IN USE MEGA-SR"Big Trouble!!!! Pls Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Hey everyone....I am doing a large expansion of a client system. Went from a MICS cab alone, added for 0x16, an asm, and a 12x0 all on a 6-port fiber card the MICS is a ver 7.1 XC. Boots up kinda, most sets showing "In Maintenance", got a code 60 on port 101-dn 100, can't get into maintenence session, says "In Use: Mega-SR", can't even do a **STARTUP, gives the same in use message, I have waited a half hour already, unplugged it and pluged back in; gave me a Config Faliure, then made me do a Warm Reboot, then asked me to recycle the power....now it's right back to "In Use: Mega-SR" never seen a system take this long to boot.....

I'm dead if it's not up on Monday.

Any help is appreciated.....Trev

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

I should mention that the Modules added were from the old system with DR 4.1, but the MICS in use now is brand new, with 7.1, and the MICS by istelf has been up for a week.

Thanks....

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

do you have the 12x0 plugged in the top slot on the 6 port fiber, and did you do the upgrade on the mics to 7.1? If you did, did you take it to 6.1 first?

Hey jmilla,
no there was no upgrade done, as the MICS core unit is brand new and was intialized with 7.1 SW right off the bat, so I didn't think an upgrad was neccessary. The fiber card goes as follows

top 12x0
then 0x16
then 0x16
then 0x16
then ASM
then 0x16

The 0x16's, ASM and 12x0 came from the client's previous MICS DR 4.1. So I tried removing all modules from the fiber card, and now it perpetually reboots and asks for a warm reset then asks me to recycle the power.

I can put the old MICS back into place, but I am afraid of putting the 0x16's back in the wrong order and trashing the DR 4.1 as well.....

HELPPP!

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

What slot is the fiber card in? The first one should be in the right slot, not the left. This system will do wierd things if there is only one card and it is in the left slot.

If it is in the correct slot, take out the fiber card and see if the unit will boot.

Norstar & Vodavi phone systems and network cabling in Gainesville & Ocala Florida

Hey Guys,
thanks for the prompt answers, took the card out shortly after my last post, it allowed me to do a STARTUP, so I applied the templates, etc, etc, so I know that's fine. I will double check the card slot, nfcphoneman, I am hoping I am just a moron and put it in by accident. I have upgraded many a system, but have never needed to upgrade when the core 0x32 is already new and has MICS XC or non XC 7.1. I've never seen the modules affect the KSU itself.....Any other thoughts for tommorow morning????

Thanks!!!!

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

7.1:
I would agree the fiber expansion card is in the wrong slot.

4.1:
When dismantling a system that will be re-configured always do a system startup then unplug it while it is configuring. This way the KSU can be down graded or ports re-configured etc.

Same experience today found out that we needed XC software because of the the 6 port cards.

Any time you see "config failure" on the display you have a hardware problem. For whatever Nortel's reasoning the trunk cards number from right to left, and expansion cards number from right to left. I'd also say that your 6-port expansion card is in the wrong slot. It must go in slot 2.

Brian Cox

Hey guys, I forgost to post back what happened, but again a big thanks for all of the help....It turned out that the last interconnect who took the system down and shipped it to us had nicked two of the fiber cords with his cutters, and it took a VFL to find that problem, so I replaced the two fiber cords, and rebooted the system, and lo-and-behold: no more error.....This was the first time I had ever seen this error from the system for this cause....I had put the card in the wrong slot years ago when starting out, but not since then... I guess that the modules were partly communicating with the main Cab, but the cut fiber showed and error.....Live and learn.....

:)

Trevor Farren
Metrotech Telecom Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back