Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"if .. then .. else" in Oracle Warehouse (possible workarounds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loukas

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GR
Anybody has used a "if then else" statement in Oracle 9i Warehouse Builder? Have you find a workaround?
I guess it is possible to write a transformation or procedure ...

Thanks a lot for your answers...

Hello Loukas,

You do not mention what the actual problem is and why you need a work-around. In ORACLE the if then else can very effectively be substituted by the DECODE function:

DECODE(expr,value1[,return1,value2,return2.....,]default)

Is this the kind of function you are searching for? T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi,

But DECODE will not work at OWB. You can use CASE instead.

Regards

Xuewei

Thank you blom0344 and xuewei for your answers.

I agree with blom0344 that DECODE is Oracle's "if" statement.
I also agree with xuewei that DECODE doesn't work in OWB as i have tried to use it.

I am trying to understand if OWB supports and how the "logic" that i am describing below.

Here is the situation:

<< if &quot;CREATION_DATE&quot; < &quot;TODAY&quot; then UPDATE else INSERT >>

I have a mapping where I want to update all records that were created before &quot;today&quot; and insert (as new) the records that were created &quot;today&quot; and onward...

I am guessing that a possible workaround would be to create my own procedure where I can write my own PL/SQL code (use of DECODE or CASE or ... ).

What I have already done is a similar mapping where I am having the fact table looking up against a &quot;LOOKUP&quot; stage, and OWB does update/insert genericly against the &quot;LOOKUP&quot; keys...

I have never tried to define a specific criteria for update/insert such as the &quot;CREATION_DATE&quot; and I am trying to understand if OWB supports this and how.

I am looking forward to hearing from anyone that has faced similar situations. Thanks!

Hello Loukas,

I am really a bit of my own terrain here since I use Powermart (Informatica) as an ETL tool (not datawarehouse builder). In a Powermart mapping I can specify several 'branches', i.e. update,insert and delete branches. If I test for instance if a certain record has a date field older than the current date I direct it to the 'update' branche-part of the mapping. In Powermart terminology this is called 'data-driven' loading of a target.
Point is ,that if your target has a sensible primary key, this sort of stuff can be done just by a regular insert/update action. Records with a primary key that already exist in the target are updated, records with not-as-yet existing keys are inserted. I'm sure ORACLE warehouse builder must have this sort of functionality... T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi,

I haven't tried it, or even tried to think it through completely, but I'm pretty sure you can do this without any transformation procedure, using filters.

You might be able to use 2 filters in one mapping. One filter would be creation_date < today and would do an update. The other creation_date >= today and would do an insert.

If nothing else, you can definitely do that using 2 mappings.

Hope that made sense and helped,

BSeefelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back