Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Icfinst.exe has encountered a problem..." - at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHodson

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
GB
Each time I boot up windows XP I receive an error message which tells me that "Icfinst.exe has encounterec a problem and needs to close". I'm told it may have something to do with having upgraded from windows XP home edition to Professional edition though this doesn't really solve the problem.
I really appreciate any help you can offer.

I would look at two different locations to fix this.
1. Look at your startup folder to see if this is where the executable is being called from. If it is, delete it. It should still be located elsewhere on you hard drive if you really need it.
2. If it is not located in the startup folder, look in the registry. [HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run]. If there is a string that executes the .exe file that you are having problems with delete it. *** Only delete the string if it is associated with the .exe file listed in your question***

Reboot the computer to see if the problem still exists.

Thanks for replying, I tried what you said to do and there is no entry for Icfinst.exe in the section of the registry you suggested. I attempted a search for files or folders with Icfinst in the name - including system files and hidden files but as yet I've had no luck. I don't know what to do next - please help!

Look in the event viewer under either application or system to see if it gives you the EventID for the error.
Let me know what it is if it is in the event viewer.

I've found a recurring error with the code 7023 in the system event viewer section although it doesn't mention directly Icfinst.exe.

This is what I found...

I would go into the registry and do a search of the entire registry for "icfinst.exe". It should find at least one entry. Once you find the entry that is executing the .exe, delete it and reboot. This should fix your problem.

Ensure that you understand what you are deleting.

I've found several registry entries containing icfinst, and just one "icfinst.exe". It is under,
"HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1960408961-630328440-839522115-1004\Software\Microsoft\Search assistant\ACMru\5603"
In the same place however I have also found "Icfinst.exe.mdmp". Is it safe to delete both or any of these?
Also "icfinst.exe" is under the name "000" and the "Icfinst.exe.mdmp" is under "003".
Thanks for your help so far, and in advance for any help you can offer.

I love a good mystery and attempted to search the web for icfinst.exe and Icfinst.exe.mdmp using hundreds of search engines hoping to get a hint at what this executible might be. Except for a couple other search request for the same info by others from this tech site, no luck.

Make sure you have all files and folder options In 'My Computer,Tools, Folder Options, View... set to reveal all files to include system and hidden files and repeat your search for this file... if found, see if you can identify it by its' properties, If found and no info given.... try running it by double clicking on it... it sounds like it might be an installation file of some sort and most of those will have options to cancel out or uninstall if necessary... but, hopefully it will give some clue as to what it belongs to.

If file is still not found... I would agree with wparsons suggestion, with 2 caveats 1.to backing up the registry first. Additionally I would type services.msc from START,RUN and export the listing and save it. After which I'd delete both entries... and restart.... rerun services.msc and compare listings before and after to see if important stuff has stopped working... If so, or if obvious errors at restart, Restore Registry as required. However, if still no problems noticed, you probably won't miss those entries until you run some very unique software on your system... I.e. some old Dos software file, or such. Most likely, this item is just a leftover entry from some program you've removed long ago. I know I'd delete it in a minute... but like to err on the side of caution with a backup....

Thanks to your advice I have now resolved the problem and my system also seems to boot quicker.
I resorted to deleting the entries as there was still no search result and all problems seem to have been eliminated!
thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back