Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"ICA File Not Found"??? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHardy

Programmer
May 9, 2001
GB
Sorry if this is a bit of a simple question, but I am completely new to using Citrix. I am not involved in setting up Citrix, just setting up clients machines so that they can access our remote databases.

I am having a repeated problem at a couple of sites. I have installed the Citrix ICA 32bit Web Client (version 7). I can log onto the secure site, and view the Thin Desktop. However, when I try to launch the application (Access database) I get a message which is not at all helpful to me. "ICA File Not Found". I initially thought that it may be a security issue, such as the firewall not allowing an application to run remotely. However, one of the clients has confirmed that their firewall is open.

I am completely at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
S

Hi,

This does sound like a Firewall issue, blocking the downloading of the ICA file to your client, are the servers at a remote site, if so, is it not your firewall rather than the other site?

Cheers,
Carl.

The Citrix applications are run from our servers. So, yes they are on a remote server from the client perspective.

The clients run (or attempt to run) the application from Internet Explorer on their networked workstation.

Many of our other clients have no problems. Also, the idea is that the application is distributed remotely. So unlikely to be a problem on our server?

If I am being told by the problem clients that their firewall is open, presumably they are talking about the firewall for the main network connection point. Could it possibly be a firewall, or other security , setting on the individual machines that are imposing stricter conditions than the network?

Alternatively, could it possibly be permissions related? When launching a Citrix app, does it attempt to write temp files to the local machine in an area that is restricted by user's permissions?

Here's something that you may have already checked (but I've seen it quite a few times): make sure the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option in the Advanced tab in IE is unchecked for those clients who get the error.

We had run into this problem recently when users were trying to execute apps from the NFuse web page. Besides trying the solution mentioned above; when the user is presented with their applications menu (in Nfuse), click on the application settings icon (the icon with tools on it). Once in Nfuse settings, change the client type from default to embedded ActiveX. If this works, it could be the webclient components weren't installed correctly.

fismxa,

Thanks. I was not aware of this, and as such will check to see if this will fix the problem. Presumably when it is checked the message detailed above (ICA File Not Found) will be displayed? Could you please confirm?

Thanks

itsp1965

I hadn't tried running as embedded ActiveX. However, I did change the client type embedded JAVA applet. Still didn't work then.

I will check the ActiveX also.

Thanks

I have seen this error message caused by too many temp files in the Temporary Internet Files folder. Basically what happens is that the ICA file is downloaded but the client times out before it locates the downloaded file. Emptying out the Temp Internet Files folder fixes this error for me everytime.

Try to clear Temporary files and Cookies in the workstation.

Hi,

If it does turn out to be Temp. Int. Files, set your cache to 1Mb on the client and delete files when browser closes (Advanced Options)

Cheers,
Carl.

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this problem as i am have exactly the same problem when clients connect using Java.

Thanks
Barry

I haven't yet been able to try these solutions. As soon as I am able to return to one of the problem clients, I will try. One of them is supposed to be getting back to me this week. I will also post any results here.

If there are any other suggestions, they would still be appreciated.

We get this all the time. This fixes it for us (and usually prevents it from happeneing to same user again.

Clear temp internet files, reduce temp internet file storage (default is usually ungodly high) and change setting to "check for newer versions of stored pages every visit to the page".

I have finally collared one of the problem clients, and... problem solved. I did all of the following:

1) Deleted temporary internet files (huge amount).
2) Changed the "check for newer versions of stored pages" option to "every visit to the page".
3) Reduced the "amount of disk space to use" for temporary internet files.
4) Ensured that the "do not save encrypted pages to disk" option was not ticked (which it wasn't).
5) Selected the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option.

The client was then able to successfully login to the site and open the application.

I still have one other client to try and sort out, but hopefully doing the same will work.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back