Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"I wish I knew" or "I wished I knew" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
I am currently writing a letter and this one has me stumped.

What is proper in this case? "I wish I knew ______" or "I wish[red]ed[/red] I knew ______"?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

harebrain,

>>He thinks it is a girly color.
>Barney.

I am afraid, this example will just prove him that he is right. He doesn't like Barney (neither do I, to be frank). Besides, "Barney is for babies" :-D. He is young, but not THAT young (remember me mentioning notebooks and textbooks in the previous post?).

Besides, I have tons of purple (and also green) stuff (from t-shirts to folders) left over from my older daughter (who used to be in love with color purple at some point, and with green at another). I guess, that's the crucial evidence here, isn't it ;-)?

Now we are way off the topic.

My truck is that aforementioned color of dark blue mixed with red. It's a very manly color, I assure you. What colors are more manly than blue and red? Mixing those two together is just as manly as either of those colors, right? That being said, this colorblind man will make sure to never buy another vehicle of that particular color [smile]

[blue]When birds fly in the correct formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.[/blue]

What colors are more manly than blue and red?
How about red and white? ;-)

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Purple doesn't seem to have done Prince (or whatever he chooses to call himself now) any harm in the *erm* masculinity stakes.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Purple or pink? I wish(ed) I knewed.

[blue]When birds fly in the correct formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.[/blue]

Instead of I wished I knew, I would say I wish I had known. It sounds a little less clumsy to me. I am still wishing, but I wish I had known it at the time (which hass already passed).

What I hear locally sometimes, unfortunately, is "I wished I knowed" or "I wish I knowed". It is very cringe inducing.

Purple is the color of royalty; so I'll take a WAG and assume that the title of the album/song Purple Rain had something to do with Prince Nelson's first name.

What do we call Prince nowadays?

Personally, I call him "The Artist formerly Known as 'The Artist Formerly Known As Prince'". [wink]

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo.

Flapeyre said:
What do we call Prince nowadays?
I simply call him:

Love_symbol_2.png

<Purple grin>

It's pronounced similarly to the way that Madison (Daryl Hannah) pronounced her name in Splash. <wet grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I think he's back to "Prince" (his given name) again.

From what I understand, he took on the name of the unpronounceable symbol that appears in Santa's post after his record label claimed copyright ownership over the name "Prince", which, again, is the man's given name, not just a stage name.

Because he had taken a stage name that was unpronounceable, journalists began referring to him as "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince".

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Mention of WAG above provokes something rather different this side of the pond. It's an acronym for Wives And Girlfiends of our overpaid and over-hyped footballers, who have become part of the circus surrounding their every appearance, depite their conspicuous lack of success in any of the major tournaments!

As for the <Purple grin> Santa, is that what one gets when the dentist says 'please spit into here'?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

<off-topic>Judging by the way he is suing people using his songs, I though that particular artist's new name was, "Lawyered Up!"</off-topic>

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back