Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Ghost Rules" - How do I get rid of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horna

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have a user that deleted serveral Rules, but the Rules are still working, which leads me to believe that the user has "Ghost Rules".
How do I get rid of them permanently?
Server is 7.0.2, and the user is 6.5.2.
Thank you very much.

I have tried "Replace Design", "Updall", "Fixup",.....

Switch to an Exchange server?....OK OK I saw this one time, beat my head against a wall for a couple weeks then recreated the user's email account...... Let me know if you find a better solution!!

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Agreed, Dan (except for the Exchange bit! LOL).

As far as I know, the only way to fix this issue is brute force with a big hammer. You could go the replace-the-entire-account route, or make a new mail db, copy all the messages into it, then modify the person doc to point at the new db.

John

Thanks Bandenjamin and m4ilm4n, for the feedback, and the Exchange Server suggestion lol...
From what I understand, you're saying, to create a brand new mail file & folders, and copy everything over manually.
The only problem with creating a brand new database, and copying everything over, is the user has about 400 folders in her current mail file, and a mail file size of almost 2 GB's. She also has an archive file.
This maybe a weekend project.

Last time I did one it took a week - positively brutal.

One of the Ghost Rules was putting information into a folder, and somehow that folder got corrupted. The user could not move e-mails in or out of the folder. An error message said that the user did not have permission for this one folder. Strange. I had to do the following to correct that :
==> Create a new folder
==> Backup (copy) the data in the corrupt folder
==> Delete the corrupt folder
==> Delete the rule that goes with the corrupt folder
==> Copy the data into the newly created folder
==> Re-create a new rule to put the incoming e-mails into the new folder.

Now, another problem, is that a certain addressed incoming external e-mail (one particular address), is going into the newly created folder, and also the Junk Mail Folder, so the e-mail is in both folders. This was a problem that the older corrupt folder had too, so it is still a problem. I want the e-mail to only go into the newly created folder. The user is not blocking this e-mail, so it should not go into the Junk Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back