Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"FREEZE !!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

actua

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
US
ALMOST EVERY TIME I OPEN AN APPLICATION MY MOUSE AND KEYBOARD FREEZES AND I HAVE TO RESTART AGAIN AND AGAIN,
PLEASE HELP!!

Is this occurring regardless of the application you open? If it's the one application again and again, try re-installing.

Otherwise check for processor overheating (make sure the fan's working okay), or chip creep (just make sure your processor and memory chips, graphics and sounds cards are firmly in their sockets).

Brendan

I have the same problem, but this was since my PSU blew up!!
I haven't got to the bottom of my problem yet - I am currently removing all components and starting as if it was a new project.

A bad mouse can make the system freeze up. Try using a different mouse. It might be possibly an IRQ problem. An application could do this if it uses some device like a modem.

Sometimes a modem and a mouse have IRQ conflicts. What application caused the problem? If you started internet software and it caused a freeze-up I would check for IRQ conflicts. This may be an operating system/hardware problem. This is a common problem with a serial mouse as opposed to a PS2 mouse. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Note that it is actually your computer that is freezing, not your keyboard and mouse; the computer is not responding to inputs from those devices.

You need to determine whether this is a hardware or software a software issue. One way is to boot in safe mode and check whether or not it still happens. If it does then you almost certainly have a hardware issue. Most likely CPU overheating.

If all is well in safe mode, you most likely need to re-install all your device drivers. Make sure you have them all before you removing any. If you need help on how to go about this, submit a post.

Clive
clive@digitalsky.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back