Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Find in list" functionality in desktop 7.2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmich

Programmer
Aug 10, 2003
CA
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to modify this searching functionality in desktop in order to enable or disable the case sensitive criteria?

Thanks,
RM

I am guessing that irrespective of how you name your file or object, MSTR will search in ONE case(not sure which one). So case sensitivty is not an issue.

Asudevil,

Thank you for your response. However, I was interested in the following. For instance, I create an attribute qualification filter, and want to select elements in list. I hit the add button, and get select object window with thousands of elements (e.g., customer names, or company names). Then, I type in the "find in list" text box a searching string. e.g. "art". If there are no elements starting with lower case "a", nothing will be displayed. It is the same if I use "ART" because I have only elements starting with "Art". Related elements will be displayed only if I type "Art". What I (and analysts in my company) want is to have case INSENSITIVE search. Note: our DW is on DB2, and MSI is 7.2.3

What I found so far is that this searching functionality is somehow database specific (at least, by default). For example, if I search against an Access or SQL Server DB/DW, it is case insensitive. With DB2 and Oracle, it is case sensitive.

I am wondering how this is specified and how could be modified. Are there appropriate settings on DB side that could be changed? Or, are there some particular configurations for ODBC in Windows or for MSI that can be altered?

Any related information is more than welcome.

RM

RM,

One thing you can try is to put a function around the values that come back in your attribute so that they are either all caps or all lowercase. You should be able to do it using an apply simple in the attribute definition and whatever the specific function is called in DB2.

Reisw,

That was the very first thing I tried to do. I used the ApplySimple and UCASE, and got all attribute elements, of course, in caps. It did not solve my problem because if the search string was in lowercase, nothing was returned. Again, I need to have case insensitive search.

The only thing I can suggest is to have them always search in all caps or in all lowercase. At least that way it will be consistant with how you return from the database. Other than that I don't know if there is any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back