Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"File in Use" window in Word (But nobody is modifying it.) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msofficehelp

Technical User
Feb 16, 2006
US
We have a Word doc that is shared and for some reason, whenever anybody else opens the file, it reads that I'm modifying it. However, I logged out of my computer last night and did not have Word open; I logged back in this morning and Word was not open. Is there any way for me to manually kick myself out of the file so that others can use it? I tried to open the file and it reads that 'anotheruser' is modifying it.

Try rebooting the computer. It should kill all hanging connections and let others open the file. You can also try right clicking My computer/manage/shared folders/sessions. This should give you the option of closing down any open sessions.I am not sure what the problem is but this might help you work around it.

Is the document located on your computer or on a server? If it is on your computer, with applications closed, go to your temp folder and delete all the abadnoned files. The temp folder is normally in DOcuments and Settings, username, Local Settings, Temp. As its name suggest, it is a temporary folder and when no applications are using it, it should be empty.

Regards: tf1

We had the same problem with end-user's here. We found out it was a Netware issue. Upgrading the client to the latest version fixed our problems.

=================
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back