Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Export as text" error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lester50

Programmer
Apr 5, 2001
US
I have a formula which builds a sentence based on data in records.

It prints fine, but when I export as text, the formula field is blank. I have checked Crystal's KB and see lots of discussion on this... It fails in export as "paginated text" and "text" but works fine for "csv" and others. (but I need to create an ASCII file).

Is there an updated driver? I am using 8.5 and just creating the export file from the preview window in crw32.exe! (runnig win2K if that matters)

Ideas?

Thanks, jlester@lester.com

Have you tried it in .chr format....this format can easily be converted to .txt...I find its the best.

I have tried .chr. It can be converted to .txt and made to look like the .txt file should if I want to write my own report, but that is why I use Crystal.

This works fine except in these formulas which involve multiple lines and formatting - for example:

stringvar outline := "This student is a "

if {student.gender}="M" then
outline := outline + " male."
else
outline := outline + "female."
;
outline;

The actual line has totext() functions , isnull() functions and uppercase() functions, several conditional if statements and produces an output line which can be about 100 characters.

It works perfectly if going to a printer or screen, or to PDF, Word, CHR, xls, etc., - just not to text.

I am trying to put this to an ASCII file including spacing and CR/LFs. It is then sent to another application (to be sent via fax or telex by the other application which has the phonebook)

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

Further testing indicates a slightly different issue. The preview shows only one record to preview (based on SQLQuery created in visual linking), but when the export file is created, it appears to be for a different record than the one in the preview screen!

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back