Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Existing software was not fully installed. . . " 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenjames

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
"Windows 2000 setup cannot continue until you finish installing this software."

Now, I know there is no software that is not fully installed. Or don't I? I haven't turned on the compuer in nearly a month (most work is being done, well, at work ;-) I can't imagine what this message refers to.

I've had some strange things going on (like the add/remove programs window doesn't open/partially opens with artifacts, or device manager properties windows don't open, and the manager won't close until (the never appearing) properties windows are closed ;-0), so I figure I'll reinstall the OS as an overwrite. Now the above message won't let me do that either.

Any ideas?

regards,

stevenjs@mindsprong.com

"I am but an egg."
--Stranger in a Strange Land

The Windows XP Setup with chkreg.exe did not work either. However, I did (finally) figure out how to open the OS in safe mode, and discovered copying was at least possible, so I have all my valuables safely away on a separate drive.

I think I'm going to pass on any more hassles with 2000, wipe the hard drive clean and start over with XP.

Thanks anyway for your help.

For others, Chkreg.exe is a utility
that you can download, expand to several
floppy disks, and restore your Win2k
registry to a previous version in case of
registry corruption.

It cannot run under XP setup, or anything
else but its own environment. The MS download
includes a complete image-to-floppy diskette
bootable environment in which to run the registry
repair tool.

I do not doubt forum member stevenjames had
issues attempting to run this tool under XP
setup.

But it is a valid Win2k tool.

Whoah, there partner.

Have you even read the link you are providing? Past the first screen to the "Instructions" below?

For one thing, nowhere does the MS article claim it "restores the registry to a previous version."

For another, it expressly instructs a download of the Windows XP Setup onto six disks, running the chkreg.exe with the sixth floppy in the drive, to which chkreg.exe is added along with some other file(s), then booting the sick Win2K machine with the Windows XP floppies, one through six.

I followed all the MS instructions to the letter, and everything went flawlessly, without "issues," except the problem was not corrected. MS does not claim all problems are going to be corrected, anyway.

I don't like this forum anymore. Things went from bad to worse following the advice, and ends adding insult to injury.

stevenjames
"I am but an egg."
But I'm nobody's fool.

You are correct it uses the XP set of floppy installs to launch Recovery Console, I was responded to your note that
you ran the registry recovery tool under XP Setup.

No matter what is or is not documented in the recovery
tool, the fact of the matter is that it restores the registry from a backup copy. It really and truely does.

I want to make a personal apology if your experience on this forum was less than satisfactory. In my defense, I only provided scripting tools to simplify MS KB
I am sorry it did not work out for you.

Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back