Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Error in Connection" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRCC

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2001
CA
Hi.

Running Metaframe XP on 2 Win2K servers (for load balancing).

I just recently installed this and in testing have been able to connect via dial-up and access all published apps with no problems. This morning I'm getting the following message:

Error in Connection

Network or dial-up problems are preventing communication with the Citrix server. An attempt to automatically restore the connection will begin after a delay to let the network recover.....

Citrix's KB has no information on this (at least that I can find) and it's driving me nuts to figure out what's happening.

Many, many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mark

Thats the usual message you would see if the server was down or if you were having line problems.

I'm assuming you've checked the basic things...
Your server didn't crash or hang up...
You have good dial tone on the dialup line you are using...
How are you connecting via dialup? Modem bank? Direct modem connected to server? Have you looked at this to make sure it's functioning properly??

Just some thoughts...

Accessing apps via the Internet. Using NFuse web client. Both Citrix servers in the farm are up and running. Just can't connect from outside the firewall. Modem is fine too. Have to connect to the ISP first ,obviously, to access NFuse page (using the IP addy to either citrix box.

Make sure to run altaddr /set "internal ip" "external ip"
this will set the box to reply to the external ip.
You will also need to edit the .ica file in the nfuse website and edit the adrress to the external ip also adding UseAltAdress=1.

Mark -

I've recently battled the same issue. Your solution might be a bit easier than what I had to do - but do me a favor and try this - add a REG_DWORD value to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<cryptic-address-of-primary-nic>.

The new regkey (it will not exist by default) should be called MTU (representing the maxiumum transmission unit of the TCP/IP stack on your server). Set this value WAYYY down (normally it's 1500 or auto-negotiate), try setting it down to 750. Please note: modifying your MTU will adversely effect performance. This value should be tweaked to get it as high as possible while still ensuring client connectivity.

The problem I experienced is that Citrix traffic flowing through a VPN (specifically a Cisco GRE tunnel) was adding a few bytes to each Ethernet packet. The traffic would be fine on my side of the tunnel, however when it got to the other end, it wound up larger than the 1,500 byte maximum for a legal Ethernet packet. Also, for some reason, my Win2k/MF XPe servers were sending all packets with the &quot;Do Not Fragment&quot; bit set to on - therefore forcing the other side of the VPN to throw the packets away. Please search Microsoft's knowlegebase for more information regarding MTU size. The symptoms on the client end were &quot;Unable to connect to the Citrix server.&quot;

Another possibility is to ensure that Terminal Services Licensing is started and that your Citrix servers can communicate to the TS Licensing server (same symptom on the client end).

Obviously, Citrix needs to add more intelligence into it's client to give a much more verbose description as to what the problem is.

Let me know how these work out.

I had the same problem, it was the MS Term Licensing. My boss bought TS Cals but never gave me the Reg numbers. My clients started not being able to connect. If you check Term Serv Manager, you will see when your client's temp license expires. Once I registered my CALS, all was well.

Hi all.

Tremendous thanks for all your help and responses. I think I have the problem solved.
<keeping my fingers crossed>.

It turns out that it was definately a permissions problem. I started checking terminal services and found that in the &quot;connections&quot; folder in Terminal Services Configuration, and on the &quot;Permissions&quot; tab of &quot;RDP-TCP&quot;, I noticed that the group of people who were having problems needed to be added to this connection.

One huge DOH from me!

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!

Mark

i had the same problem. i found that the clients having connection problems did not have a wins server listed in network properties. as soon as i added the wins server ip and rebooted the machine everything worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back