Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Error during spell initialization" in Notes R5.0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have several users who receive the error message, "Error during spell initialization", when trying to perform spell-check. Any ideas? Thanks, in advance!

Have a look if you have correct .dic file in notes/data directory. Get a correct one, or set to US

Find correct *.dic file in Lotus Notes, or ask users to check their computers to set the English to U.S in the windows. I had this error messge on one of my client's computer, after I changed his Eng setting in the windows, problem gone.
Good Luck!

Another thing to check, is make sure that there is a TEMP directory specified in the system variables. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Environment tab and make sure there are values set for the variables TEMP and TMP. If they aren't there or are not set, set the value for both variables to something like C:\TEMP. Make sure the user has the ability to write, read, and delete from that folder.

I wanted to change the spell checking dictionary of my Notes Client to UK.dic. I have copied uk.dic file to the notes\data directory. Then I change the Spelling dictionary in the User Prefences to English (uk). I restarted the Notes and still geeting this error. What haven't I set correctly?

Yes,

One of my users suddenly got the exact same problem you are describing with the spell checker initialization. The only thing I had to do to fix it was the following:

go to user.dic file right click it to see the properties. For some strange reason "read only" was checked and this was stoping the file be able to start. after I unticked this everything worked just fine.

Make sure your users have a temp directory. If the path to the temp directory is there, but the directory isn't, you will also get this error.

Hardwarz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back