Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Error accessing file..." msg during Excel chart copy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCPD700

MIS
Jun 20, 2001
US
I maintain project status reports using Excel, Powerpoint and Word, as part of my job. One report for the executive level requires that I copy an Excel status chart and paste it onto a Powerpoint slide.

On my old machine, a Dell Latitude C840 w/Windows 2000 Pro, it worked just fine. I now have a new Dell Latitude D830 running Windows XP Pro. When I copy the Excel chart and paste it into the Powerpoint slide, Excel issues an error message that says "Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost. [OK] [Cancel]" I click OK and it continues, then issues the message again. This occurs several more times then stops. The chart is successfully copied into Powerpoint, but I'm baffled as to why this is happening. At least it works! [neutral]

Both machines are running Office 2000 Pro with all available patches installed. I'm wondering if this might just be due to the increased speed of the new machine (Intel Core2 Duo 2.2GHz w/2GB RAM) but that doesn't really make sense when we have a screaming network.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jim

I believe you need a Hotfix

A man has only two choices: He can be right or he can be happy.

Laila,

the link takes you to the Hotfix.

Well, so much for the Hotfix... I'm already at SP3 which reinforces Laila 's original response. There are some similar hits in MS Support, but no exact matches so far... plus MS shows SP3 as resolution for all I've read -- yeah, right. [thumbsdown]

Jim

Then, the solution may be even simpler. In PowerPoint go to Tools, Macro, Security and set it to Low and then try pasting your chart. You may want to set security to Low on both XL and PPT. Please post back successes or failures.

You're the man (or lady)! That did the trick.

Security for both programs was originally set to High. I set both to low as you suggested, then copied the Excel chart into Powerpoint [red]without[/red] any error messages!

Just for grins, I changed the security level for both programs to Medium, then repeated the test. This time the error message displayed - 7 times which has been the norm for this particular operation. Needless to say, I have reset security back to Low.

Thank you very much for your assistance in eliminating this frustrating "error." [medal]

You are welcome. Basically, when you paste from one to another, the application looks for macros and that's where the problem starts when the security is set to high.

My signature should blatantly tell you my gender.[lol]

yeah it's working with security set to low.
Thanks u xlhelp,

I really fed up with those Microsoft softwares and the support, Hotfix, too much thinks to have/to take care to have something working on different machines.

Laila

"What keep you going?" "Commodore 64"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back