Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Enter Key Behavior" text field property makes quirky data

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohunter

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
US
I have a field in a table called "notes" and the data type is Memo. I put a text box on a form, control source = Notes, set the Enter Key Behavior property to "New Line in Field". Gives you a carriage return ... nice way to edit and view notes on a form, for separate thoughts/ideas/dates etc.

However, when you look at the data in the table, only line 1 shows. Try to cut and paste the whole field...only can get my hands on line 1. If you export to Excel, can only see line 1, but click in the cell and there's the other data. Put the field in an Access report and if you've given the field enough height, you can see other lines of text.

Bottom line. I know I haven't lost my data even though I can't easily get to it in table view. But it seems a little fleeting, misleading. Any way around this? (Besides changing enterkey behavior back to Default.)

Hi, sohunter,

As far as I know, this is normal behavior. The Enter Key Behavior property is a property of the textbox control and has nothing to do with the underlying table, except insofar as hitting enter inserts a vbCrLf character. Essentially, tables are for storing data, not for viewing data. Having said that, I think you'll find that if you place the cursor within the field in question, you can navigate through the lines of text in the field with the down/up arrow keys. Or, you can change the row height in the same manner you would a spreadsheet - by dragging the lower edge of the row at the record selector.

And you can set the Can Grow property of the control in your report to Yes, so that the control automatically expands to display all the data in the field.

HTH,

Ken S.

Thank you. I see what you're saying. And didn't realize it's so easy to change the row height when looking at raw data in tables!

How are ya sohunter . . . . .

In the table you can only manually select the first line because thats all you can see. After you select if you hold [blue]Shift and Cursor Down[/blue] (just as if the field were expanded), you'll select the rest, or just [blue]Tab[/blue] to the field to automatically select all the data.

Your data is there, [blue]you just can't see it[/blue] because only a single line is visible. Expand you row size as already suggested by [blue]Eupher[/blue] . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back