Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Email Equivalent" of Apache

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectusUnum

Technical User
May 24, 2002
US
Ok, well this may sound a little strange, but can anyone suggest an "Apache Equivalent" of email servers (Win NT/XP)? Fast, flexible, powerfull, etc. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, I've read quite a bit about it. I was hoping for something free, but thanks all the same :^D!

Apache doesn't really have anything to do with e-mail. Are you talking about sendmail? Most mail servers for win32 run upwards of $700. It seems the inexpensive or free ones always need to go through an smtp server. Sendmail.org only has the linux version and is the only platform they support. However, you may check out and see if they have a win32 version. I think I remember seeing something about it but since I don't run Windows, I can't tell you if it will do what you want. Happy hunting :)

At this point I'm so frustrated, I'm going to make the switch to Redhat, or maybe FreeBSD. My only problem is, the server down time during which I'd lose emails, so I need to go about scavenging parts for another box to temporarily take over the mail/web server duties. Thanks to everyone for their help!

OK - Now you speak the language of my people :) Red Hat is a very good choice. The next best is Mandrake but there are those who would argue that. You will find that linux is not the greatest desktop OS on the planet but it is second to none in the server world. You will be glad to be dropped from the ranks of the Windows sufferers.

LOL, what a warm welcome to Linux! I'm looking forward to installing it, now all I need to do is throw together a crap-box for temp.

You will get an equally warm welcome to FreeBSD. I have found that for classic server operations like webserving and mailserving, FreeBSD just doesn't quit. We FreeBSD users tend to measure uptimes in years, rather than months, (or days, as with Windows). And it can work on more modest hardware than most of the big Linux distros.

Try them both, and see what you like. I found that I liked Linux for a workstation, but FreeBSD for a server. -------------------------------------------

"Now, this might cause some discomfort..."
(

Like was said earlier, this question has little to do with Apache, but try ArgoSoft MailServer. It has SMTP authentication and seems to be pretty fast - and free. I guess we aren't supposed to promote stuff...err...

Hope this helps

> this question has little to do with Apache

Thus the word "equivalent", meaning "what will do for my mailserving what Apache does for my webserving?". The question was a very sensible one. Anyway, the question is moot if ElectusUnum plans to move to Linux or FreeBSD, because they come default with very capable mailservers (sendmail, postfix), and can easily be changed to other ones like Qmail, Exim, Courier-Imap, etc... all for free. -------------------------------------------

"Now, this might cause some discomfort..."
(

Thanks Rycamor :^), since my box will only be a server, I think I'll look into FreeBSD more. I don't have any experiance with it, only various flavors of linux, but I'm not worried. Install first, learn later :^D.

I have had great success with Mail Enable Pro ( as a mail server in Win32. I have Apache, this email server, and an FTP server all running flawlessly in Win32 - all free. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back