Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"DTS" type function in Oracle 9i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoffel24

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
ZA
Hi all

Is there a function similar to DTS in MS SQL server in Oracle? I have a requirement to get data from a Sybase database into an Oracle database on a regular basis in order to be able to report on it using Crystal. Ideally I would like to have all the required data in a single database rather than linking between 2 databases for the one report.

If there are other ideas as to how to achieve the same result, I am keen to hear them. This data will have to be kept up to date so that when a user runs the report, the data is valid.

Thanks a lot

Given that we are not MySQL experts, but Oracle experts, perhaps you could mention what DTS does?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Apologies! DTS stands for data tranfer service (or something similar) and allows you to transfer data between similar or different databases. Basically all I want to do is get some Sybase data into Oracle but on a regular and automatic basis.
Thanks

DTS is Data Transformation Services, a Microsoft Product that comes with SQL Server.

I typically use DTS to move small amounts of data between Oracle and SQL Server.

For large amounts of data, I use bcp, ftp, sql*loader, and utl_file(Oracle supplied PL/SQL package).

You can also connect and just use SQL. Linked Server can connect to Oracle from SQL Server. Hetergeneous Services allows Oracle to connect to SQL Server as a db link. HS uses a special listener on the SQL Server box to receive database calls. We had "issues" with using Heterogeneous Services in a clustered environment.

It introduces a third RDBMS but you could link both the Sybase and Oracle tables via ODBC to an Access database which could run an append query at scheduled times. Would be slower than some other methods for large amounts of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back