Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Document Not Saved"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweek312

Technical User
Dec 18, 2004
US
I have a little (BIG) problem with Excel and my Unstable corperate network. When a server connection or network resource is lost and a user wishes to save their document that resides on that resource, the user will often receive the message "Document Not Saved". This obviously occurs because the path to save to has been lost, however... For some reason Excel/Windows is not smart enough to tell when the connection has returned and the document will continue to not save indefinitely.

My solution to the problem is creating a new temporary spreadsheet, copying and pasting the information to that sheet, then using the provided template copy and paste the data into a new template and rename the template to resemble the original file.

Now if that didnt confuse you then ur one of the few...

I have contemplated writing a macro which does all of this in a single click but I am not a fan of band-aid solutions.

Is there a way to Refresh Excel to its outside connections or force it to save once the connection has returned?

Excel wont even save to the desktop after such an event has occured. Please! Help!....

Thanks,

tW33k

AFAIK, the only solution is that which you already do - there are a few threads on this knocking about and I've never seen any advice given that wasn't along the lines of "copy it to a new workbook and save"

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Geoff is right, the only solution is the one you already have. Quite a few of us on here have hit our heads on this problem before ... at least you know what's causing it, the first time it happened to me ( a glitch in actually network hardware ) it took me ages to find out what was happening.

If anyone out there knows any better, I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

There is a faster way to do the deed as well....

Simply select all the sheets in the workbook (using SHIFT), right click, select Copy or Move, select Copy and New Workbook .....et voila

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

I had never thought of doing it that way... Schweet!

Whats the difference between using shift rather than ctrl? I have never used shift when selecting multiple sheets.

Does shift select the sheet contents rather than the sheet itself?

Thx
tW33k

Rule of thumb, SHIFT selects an entire row (or column) of files and CTRL allows you to individually select the files you want to group. For instance if you have files 1-10, if you click on file 1 and then hold SHIFT and click on file 10, all 10 files will become selected. Otherwise if you hold down CTRL, when you click on file 1 and then file 10, ONLY file 1 and file 10 will be selected.

Keep in mind though for certain programs CTRL may not work at all. If this is the case, my first troubleshooting step is to use SHIFT. In the example of Excel, CTRL will work if you want to only select certain worksheets. Otherwise SHIFT is the easiest way if you select the leftmost worksheet, hold SHIFT, and then click on the rightmost worksheet. It's a great tool to use in Windows Explorer as well!

TOTCOM11

So in short...

Shift is used for selecting a single range of sheets and Control is used for selecting multiple non-successive sheets.

=D

I think you have it but to be sure, the best way is to illustrate with example

Say you select sheet 1
hold down SHIFT and select sheet 10
all sheets between the 2 tabs will be selected

Select sheet 1
hold down CTRL and select sheet 10
only sheets 1 and 10 are now selected

Rgds, Geoff

Rgr Tht. Ya learn somthin' new everyday.

The problem is pivot tables.. remove your pivot tables and save.. you'll have to rebuild them from scratch again

"The problem is pivot tables.. remove your pivot tables and save.. you'll have to rebuild them from scratch again"

The problem describes happens even if you don't have any pivot tables.
Surely if you use MOVE rather than copy the pivot tables come with the sheets. If you use COPY then you can always go into the pivot tables and change the datasource. Suprised you have to re-build.

Unless you have pivot tables where the source data is not in your workbook and the link to the external datasource is lost... I haven't come across / tested this scenario but it would be a real b***** if you had to rebuild them!

Gavin

I use no pivot tables in my sheet. Its a simple data entry sheet.

tW33k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back