Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"DHCP server unreachable" error message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
US

Could you please help me?

I have a crossover cable between my laptop and my home PC, with my laptop as the main computer. I have the laptop IP set to 192.168.0.1, and the Home PC to 'Obtain and IP address Automatically'.

This set up actually worked for some time. Sometimes, when I open up the command prompt and type in 'ipconfig', it gives me a 168.xx.xx.xx address, and I just type in 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' and after a minute of waiting, I used to get a 192.168.0.XX address. After this, I was able to share the Internet Connection between the 2 computers, the files etc.

But of late, I have not been able to get this 192 IP address. After typing in 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew', after a minute of waiting, I get a "DHCP server unreachable" error message.

I have tried restaring the PC etc etc, but I continually get this same message. I can ping 192.168.0.1 from the Home PC if I put in a 192.168.0.2 address on the Home PC, and I can even share files.... but I am NOT able to share the Internet connection!!

Please suggest what needs to be done. Thank you!!

Any help at all is welcome.

I am using Windows 2000 Professional on both the Laptop and the Home PC. Thanks.

Two thoughts:

1. If you have been modifying the ICS client computer with static entries, you may have removed some of the finer details required in an ICS client setup. See:
There are DNS registration, ICS Host machine HOSTS file entries, and other less than obvious setup considerations that have to be made.

2. It is possible your Winsock service is corrupted. You could repair your Winsock service as one step in your troubleshooting efforts:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back