Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"data connection library" in SPS 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosaliem

MIS
Dec 9, 2004
US
My company has SharePoint Portal Services 2003 which we are using as an intranet. We recently got InfoPath 2007 so that we could create forms used within the company. InfoPath 2007 allows our users to fill out forms in a browser, and will allow SPS2003 to host the forms.

I want to store data to be used in form drop-downs on SharePoint (if possible). I see references to a "data connection library", but I'm not sure if they exist in SharePoint 2003. I also see reference to being able to use lists on SharePoint but have not been able to get that to work.

Thanks,
Rosalie

this is possible, you can ether put a dropdown box on your form and add items to it or have a data connection to a list on sharepoint. with the data connection you have to make sure get your url correct. at what point are you having trouble getting the data connection to work?

I think my problem is more with Sharepoint Portal Services 2003 than with InfoPath 2007 at this point. Please note that I have to use an older version of SPS and the new version of InfoPath.

According to my InfoPath 2007 book, I should be able to set up a "Data Connection Library" (DCL) in SharePoint, and it should be a specific part like a Document Library or Forms Library. But I don't find that as an available part in Sharepoint 2003.

So, looking for an alternative, I should be able to create a "list" on Sharepoint, and use that for my InfoPath data source. I have not been able to get that to work, I suspect it could by the url I am using; I've tried using the url for my sub-site and for the list, neither seem to be findable. (Sharepoint 2003 resides on a server that I connect to via VPN.) Actually, I think managing the data sources through a SharePoint List would be easier, if it will work.

I also see that I should be able to use Access, but have not started down that route yet as that would be my last choice (I am not familiar enough with Access.)

Thanks, if there is any info I left out, please let me know.

RosalieM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back