Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"CreateObject" causing an error, but . . . it's not code related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanEvansJr

Programmer
Aug 17, 2001
US
I'm having a strange problem with an inherited multiuser application (VFP 6, running across Novell with XP client machines).

It's used by Field Auditors on Laptops and PC's, so it's not mandatory that they be connected to the network for the app to run. One user with a new laptop is having a problem. I've determined that the application is bombing on the following line:

loDataSession = CreateObject("cusDataSession",tiAuditId)

The error is "Function argument value, type or count is invalid."

This application has worked untouched for a few years and the same executable works fine for me, and fine for every other user EXCEPT THIS ONE PERSON. I'm finally at the belief that the code error isn't the problem, but a symptom of the problem. Probably a machine config, but I don't know what/how. I've made the user Administrator and given her all rights to her local drive, but that hasn't fixed it. I don't know what else to do.

Attempts to alter the code have proven fruitless, obtaining the same results (works for everyone but her). Has anyone else seen this on a new/updated/altered machine and what was the problem?

Not sure if this will be the solution, but your problem of an app causing an error on only one PC reminds me of a problem I had (and solved):

thread1252-1320770

Teresa

Dan,

I don't know whether Teresa's specific solution applies in your case, but clearly she is on the right track. There must be something different about the machine that's showing the error.

It would be worth checking things like the VFP runtime files, any relevant COM components or ActiveX controls -- even operating system patches.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Just a quick update. The problem was eventually solved. The Helpdesk crew 'moved' the application from the old machine to the new one without going through the full installation/setup process. After wiping and doing a true install, the problem dissappeared.

Thanks for the assistance, everyone :)
Close this thread, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back