Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Connection Failed" Is due to Linksys router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowWolf

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
When gaming online, regardless of the game, I constantly get the "Connection Failed" message. Someone told me that it was due to my Linksys router (BEFSR41) needing a reset and install the new firmware upgrade. After doing all of this, it still happens frequently. My router did need a reset due to a power outage several weeks ago, but everything seems to be working fine other than the "Connection Failed" message. Is there a "Keep the connection alive" option in the setup? Or is there something else that I am missing somewhere? This never happened until the upgrade and reset.

ShadowWolf,
When you upgraded the firmware of the router,do you know what was the firmware before you upgraded it?Because Linksys do not advice to upgrade the firmware of the router if you are using the old firmware.Let us say,the previous firmware was 1.42.7,then if you'd like to reflash the firmware you gotta' use the 1.43 not the latest version of firmware which 1.45.The reason being is,this latest firmware might gonna mess up your router.

Julius

"Someone told me that it was due to my Linksys router (BEFSR41)"

I wish someone had told you it was due to your NIC. This seems to me more likely than a router issue, as it appears as a problem repeatedly in activities that are ethernet intensive.

I would like you to look at two links; while they do not discuss Gaming per se, and not your particular problem, they discuss what I think is the core issue and it is your network adapter:

My final note to you is that as an issue that might concern the router, often it is a failure in forwarding all the ports required by a Game. Some general hints are found in the link below, but please see the FAQ for the specific game on their Web site for additional port forwarding information needed:

ShadowWolf,

Connection Failed means that it is not connecting to your game server, due to firewall that the router provides. I believe that it has nothing to do with the network adapter specially if you could connect to the internet.

In opening ports you need to assign an IP Address and DNS to your computer. If your router is in 192.168.1.1, then you need to assign IP to your computer to 192.168.1.X. Then go open your browser, be sure that there are no proxies. Type into your address bar: 192.168.1.1; default password: admin; username:

Go to the advance tab>Forwarding tabs>open the ports the game is using, enable specific protocols (tcp, udp, or both), specify the IP Address that you assign to your computer>apply changes afterwards.

Here is the list of ports that your game uses, please refer to below:

Another alternative for this problem is to use DMZ. DMZ opens ports for that specific computer.

If DMZ host, then try using this firmwares: 1.42.7 and 1.44.2; because I believe those firmwares are stable. Flashing to the latest firmware which is 1.45, you would only encouter more problems since some routers would become unstable in any event. Try reading some issues with 1.45 firmware.

I think those Links that was suggested by Bill has no connection with ShadowWolf problem,particulary with the game issue.
Look for the exact ports to be opened for the specific game you're trying to run and forward it on a router,and follow the instructions of Shocker.

Goodluck.

Thx all, very good suggestions. But.............

It seems to happen at regular intervals, IE: every 10 minutes.
I can play, surf, etc., but then I get a temporary loss of connection. Could it be as simple as my ISP kicking me? Our cable provider, Comcast just bought out our local AT&T cable internet provider. Could it be something with them? Or could it still be my firmware and router?

And as mentioned, I had already forwarded ALL ports that the games/programs use so that I may also host my own server. It works well, it was actually the first thing I did when I bought the router. "Look up all the ports in the forums for the games/programs I go online with...."

So, again, thx. Any other responses would also be greatly appreciated!

Have you ever tried MAC Cloning or even assigning a static DNS to your router, 'coz most probably the router is not renewing the IP Address from your ISP? And also make sure that you don't have any firewalls installed on your computer.

ShadowWolf,
have you tried to check the MTU that youre using?,,,this one will be based on the MTU set by your ISP...ask them what is the exact MTU and then apply that on the router's set up page...see if that one will work...

[ponytails]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back