Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Connecting to 127.0.0.1" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
When using Explorer 5.0 and Windows 98SE, after several minutes of surfing, the screen updates get very slow. When this happens, the message 'Connection to 127.0.0.1' appears at the bottom left of the screen for a few seconds before slowly continuing to the requested page.

I can bypass the problem by opening another Explorer window, things then work fine, for a while.

It doesn't seem to matter how long IE is active. It seems to happen after numerous sites have been visited.

I'm using a cable modem,and this problem only recently appeared.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ajnin,

I've tried IE5.5 before. It slows up screen loading, both on the web and on my desktop. I've seen this same complaint posted on various websites, but none offered a solution.

Maybe with things working so much slower using IE5.5, I wouldn't run into my loop back problem, but that defeats the purpose of a cable modem.

Can't say I've heard of the problem but there is an updated version of of IE5.01.

Other than that the only other things I could think of is to run a repair on IE. Run msinfo32 and click Tools and run the Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

Also run SFC.

And check to ensure your not infected with a virus.

Do you have firewall software running? If not I would suggest disconnecting the cable modem until you do.

Regards Please provide feedback, good or bad.
And I'm always open to new suggestions or ideas.

Regards

If you were to ping localhost, under ping statistics, it would say "Ping Statistics for 127.0.0.1..." It's basically the default IP address for win98. Go to start>run>command> then type "ping localhost"...any percentage of loss, reinstall tcp/ip in your network configuration. If you get 0% loss, you will need to extract winsock.dll and wsock32.dll, which are 2 dll files linked to the browsing ability. If that doesn't work, go to start>settings>control panel>add/remove programs> and look for Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools. Highlight it, click sdd/remove, and select repair internet explorer. Best of luck to ya! Hope this helps s-)

Julie "neongreenyakspit" clgx299@earthlink.net
I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back