Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Class doesn't support automation" JS error since XP /IE upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervigilante

Technical User
Oct 18, 2002
US
Ever since I got the latest IE6 during an upgrade to win XP I'm getting this stupid error message on a lot of sites or on my own site if I even do some simple javascript like writing to a window handle I've created. It says "class doesn't support automation" i.e. winHandle = window.open(...) then winHandle.document.write(...) gives me this error, even though that works in all NSs and all previous IEs.

Someone said they had this trouble from Visual Studio and I had that but I uninstalled it long ago and there is nothing launching from it as far as I can tell.

I've seen some complaints about it elsewhere on the net (one in a german forum I couldn't read ;') but no one seems to have a solution.

This is driving me nuts. I can't write the simplest javascript without getting this dumb error. I don't get it in NS6 and didn't get it in IE5 with the same code. I'd switch to NS but my favorite site builder, NOF 7, relies heavily on IE.

I also had SQL server once, in addition to VB, so I suspect something previously installed for data handling or script is conflicting with the newest IE install, but who can figure that accursed registry that Never seems to lose old entries but just grows fatter with errors until you have to do a hard format. Only I don't have time to do a hard format and reinstall a hundred programs clean. What an abominable idea the registry was. Msoft needs to get rid of it entirely. I'd Much rather go back to config files in the program directory as long as they followed a standard. Sorry, not relevant to the problem, but I really loathe the Registry ;')

If anyone could point me to what to delete that is causing it, I'd appreciate it. People who see the same sites with different installs of IE are not getting the popup. But other people are. It's some "improvement" msoft made to IE that doesn't fit with some of their other script or data handling software.

Hi Jim:
A link you need to bookmark on your browser:
It's a link for searching by error message at M$...and you can get info on the following knowledge base articles:

[Q244493] This error occurs because the user manually copied the DLL to a computer where the Visual Basic runtime library is not located

OR, depending on your OS and its maintenance level,
this one:

[Q199226] MTS Debugging Requires Windows NT 4.0 SP4 Windows NT 4.0 SP4 fixes the following Visual J++ problems or issues: - ComFailException in Java, or "Class does not support Automation" errors in Visual Basic.

Thanks, I'll follow this up, although this error is in Javascript, not VB. But who knows how Msoft is doing these things.

i'm having the EXACT same problem, and it is driving me batty. the only difference is that i'm using win2k, not xp. but otherwise, same symptoms...popup windows, jscript, and the dang class automation error. i don't think the knowledge base post applies, there are any number of other ms apps that throw the same error, like vb, mdac, etc.

HELP!

Have either of you found the solution to this problem? I have been having the same errors and can't find ANYTHING ANYWHERE that helps me answer it. For example, pop up windows like calcuators for Shipping or something will display, "Class doesn't support automation"

This happens EVERYWHERE

also, windows update doesn't move past "Preparing to download"

PLEASE someone out there help if you know how to!

Hey I don't know if you guys already know the answer to this or not, but incase you don't this WILL fix it.

1. to your RUN window from the start menu, type in "regsvr32 msscript.ocx" and hit enter
2. do the same with dispex.dll, and vbscript.dll
3. open windows explorer, select folder options in the tools drop down.
4. select the file types tab
5. scroll down to the extension type JS, highlight it and hit the advanced button
6. highlight the Open command and hit the edit button. If you have more than one "Open" command showing (which was part of my problem)delete one of them.
7. In the field "application used to perform action" paste in this - C:\WINNT\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %* your done.

I simply had to re-register the dispex.dll and that fixed everything for me.

Many thx, Kalikur! Nothing worked to me, but reinstalling windows scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back