Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Check the Spelling of the File" error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrymeeow

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
ZA
Ok I have posted this in the "Business Objects: Crystal Reports 4 Other topics Forum" Group with no response. So I thought I might have more luck here.

I have an ASP .NET project that basically server reports to people in an intranet environment. After viewing a report, the user can export the report to either Excel or Pdf. I have come across and error when a user has Office 2000 Pro installed. They view a report, export it to an Excel format and save it. When they try and open it they get the following error message.

Error said:
'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin\crexcel_en.xla' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.

If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.

But after they click the "ok" button the file opens with what looks like the correct data. They is no error message with a machine running Office XP.

Has anyone received this error before or know what could be causing it?

[red]G[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]r[/blue][green]r[/green][yellow].[/yellow][white]..[/white][yellow]m[/yellow][green]e[/green][blue]e[/blue][purple]o[/purple][red]w[/red] [cat2]

Not seen the error but I'll bet it's to do with an addin for excel that allows it to communicate with Crystal Reports - it's probably installed by default with XP and not with 2000.

Rgds, Geoff

Yesterday it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Thanks for your qucik reply Geoff.

I thought that too but I'm not so sure that that is the issue. This file has already been exported to an xls file and it is when it is being opened that the error occurs.

I have no idea where it got the file name crexel_en.xla from. I have not been able to find out any information on a file with that name anywhere.

[red]G[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]r[/blue][green]r[/green][yellow].[/yellow][white]..[/white][yellow]m[/yellow][green]e[/green][blue]e[/blue][purple]o[/purple][red]w[/red] [cat2]

well there is certainly a crexcel9.xla
I would guess that crexcel_en.xla is another version of this ie Crystal v9 uses crexcel9.xla - could it be a corrupt named xla file ?? - maybe should be named crexcel_ten.xla or similar

The reason it happens when you open the excel file is that any references to add-ins are stored WITH the file so that does not surpise me at all that you get an error message when you open the file up

From the (limited) experience I have had with Crystal, I believe that you should save as CSV rather than as excel type file and then use excel to read the csv

Rgds, Geoff

Thanks again for your response.

The version of Crystal I am using is the bundles version that comes with Visual Studio 2003. I think that it's a scaled down version of Crystal 9.

Unfortunately I am unable to save the report as a CSV as that is not available to me in VS and the report has images on it which would not come through with CSV.

Hmmm - I still think there is an issue with a Crystal Addin for excel - probably caused by using the 2003 addin with 2000 OS. Maybe it is looking for an addin called crExcel_en.xla but cannot find it as the addin for 2000 would be crExcel9.xla.....

Rgds, Geoff

Thank you very much, you have been very helpful. I'm going to research if it is possible to include the two addins together in my installation package. I'm hoping that this will solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back