Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Calculate session" displays when using arcserve ver 9/11 & win2k3sp1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbrookjr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2005
US
I backup multiple windows nt,2000,2003 servers that a part of my nt domain. When I go to backup a server running 2003 sp1, the backup freezes with the job status "Calculate session". The disable file estimate feature is disabled on all of my backups. If I remove sp1 the issue doesn't occur. I will note that I can backup win2003 sp1 server that is not part of my nt domain. I've had this issue with version arcserve ver 9 & 11. I've installed all of the updates available without any success. Any Ideas?

thanks,

Stephen O.

Hi,

" The disable file estimate feature is disabled on all of my backups"

Does this mean that the "Disable file estimate" option is "unchecked" ?

If so "check" the option "Disable file estimate"

You have mentioned that you are backing up win2003Sp1 machines.. have you applied the the 11.1 support updated for windows 2003 sp1 on machine runnign win2003 sp1?

Bab 9.0 does not support backing up win2003sp1 machines, though technically there should be no issues..

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I meant say the "disable file estimate" is checked.

I've only applied updates to the servers running the arcserve produces. Is that 11.1 update strictly for win2003sp1 server that is not running arcserve?

v9 has issues with win2003 SP1 so if you have the host server running on that - at present there are no win2k3 SP1 patches available for v9

r11.1 with the latest patches applied should not suffer from the same compatibility issues so if you have r11.1 patched up with the latest patches, then it's fairly safe to say it's not a win2k3 SP1 compatibility issue.

Well I don't know. If I do nothing other than unistall win2003 sp1 one from the effected servers the problem goes away.

hi..

Which means.. the problem factor is the SP1.. on win2003...

please revisit the patches.. if you are running a windows client agent on this machine.. u need to apply the win2003sp1 update from Arcseve for bab11.1 to be able to back it up..

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I'm having the same sort of issue. Using a W2k3sp1 machine with ArcServe v9.01 SP2 with the update for backing up w2k3sp1 servers installed.
The job will crash at a .CAT file when I run the usual backup rotation.
I patched AcrServe up (now says Version 9 Build 2200)and tried to backup just the offending server to test the "fix" Now I get a "calculating session" message and noting else happens.
We don't use Arcserve Agent.
I have initialized the database also.

Any ideas?

Do you have any other w2k3sp1 machines that have to backup and do you get that error when trying to backup those machines?

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes we have other W2k3sp1 servers. I just tried to run a backup on another one and got the same result.
Next question would be: Did you ever have the backup run completely through the rotation? The answer is that I just don't know. I took this task over from someone who has left the company. No one else I've asked seems to know.

Is there anything else I can tell you that will help?

Sandyboy - the information you have provided is incorrect. Win2K3 SP1 is supported with v9.x with the latest patches which are downloadable from here:

Please note that the Win2K3 SP1 support patch is in addition to ARCserve 9.x SP2.

Not sure this will help with the problem reported, but the incorrect information needed to be corrected.

Just an idea :
The calculate session could be the researhc of the session number. Do you check if there is a problem with the tape ?

Thanks vschumpy and sanbe03 but I have everything patched up to SP2 and the W2k3SP1 patch. My version number now reads version 9 Build 2200.
The tapes are have been checked and are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back