Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"better" ePO agent policy settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpIT

MIS
Sep 27, 2002
NL
Goodmorning,

I'm was wondering about the default ePO agent settings and in particular the communication intervals. My users have been noticing strange slowdowns and other performance problems since I installed the ePolicy Orchestrator. Most of these performance issues seem to manifest in office applications while typing etc.

My question is, will increasing the communication intervals remedy this situation and what settings do the members of this group use ?

Any help appreciated.

Sincerely,

GB©

It may not just be the communication intervals. You probably need to look at the scan settings also. Do you have "All Files" selected? If so, you can safely use "Default Files".

Also, you can probably set the ASCI to every 4 hours. We have it set at every 8 hours (twice every working day).

HTH, AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

Thanks AVChap, I modified the ASCI settings.

The scan options were already set at default files to minimize the effect on performance. I even disabled the weekly scans I had scheduled.

However, my users were still complaining about their systems (Pentium 166 NT 4 workstation, 64mb RAM) slowing down at times. They noticed the cursor couldn't keep up while typing in office applications.

A support case has already been opened at Mcafee but until now no response. Hopefully changing the ASCI helps.

Sincerely,

GB©

Judging from the specs that you mentioned, it's no wonder the responsiveness of the apps is slow. Might help if you ease the settings a bit, like if you have heuristics enabled, you can disable it for now.

HTH, AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

We had users noting the same thing. We increased the policy enforcement interval from 5 minutes to 240 minutes and reduced complaints by 99%

Also be aware that the ePO agent generates a couple of hundred file writes whist it is 'active' i.e. gathering property information. Exclude the ePOAgent directory from being scanned in VirusScan. Make sure that this directory (or better still the whole disk) is scanned periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back