Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Bad shell" warning message after reboot...?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepico

MIS
Jan 6, 2002
HK
Hiya,

My HP-UX 10.20 box came across a problem on reboot... Everytime when I issue shutdown -y -r now to reboot the box, after reboot finished and start running init, it pops out a warning message saying that something like "Bad shell /usr/bin/ksh for root, please change the /etc/passwd and reboot" and then it auto switches to run-level S! Thus I have to maunnally type init 3 to bring the box into normal operation.

I guess maybe the mount point of "/usr" is not mounted during init so I changed the root shell to "/bin/sh". But it has no change at all... still warning me again (Bad shell /bin/sh)! What's wrong in the box...?! Any hints?

Happy New Year
Jack

I take it /bin/sh is included in /etc/passwd and actually exists? Could it be corrupted? Or perhaps the entry in /etc/passwd is corrupted - try deleting and retyping.

Yes, the /bin/sh really exists in /etc/passwd first root entry and the shell file is also there. If the passwd file was corrupted, how can I fix it? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back