Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Bad Date Format String"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2002
US
I am experiencing what seems to be a random problem. All of the dates I pull into CR are string fields which I convert to date fields. Most of the time these fields work fine, but sometimes when I rerun a report, which has been successful initially, I will get this error "Bad date format string." I have examined the SQL expression and cannot find any differences between the fields which consistently work and those which all of sudden malfunction.

I am using CR 8.5. My links are all common joins because the tables being used are all one-to-one relationships. Technonurse-Spokane

Is what you passed in in this format?
Date (yr, mth, day)

Assuming you're using date conversion, or forcing a format, how are you doing this?

Also, does your database field allow for null values? If so, you will need to start your conversion and display with a null check.

Naith

My date field that comes in is in this format: yyyy, mm, dd.

I write my formula as {my_field}[5 to 6] +"/"+
{my_field}[7 to 8] +"/"+
{my_field}[1 to 4

I do not write anything in to allow for nulls. Not sure how. Technonurse-Spokane

I expect that you have some null values in your database, and the report is choking when it's looking for positions [5 to 6] etc when there are no positions to be had.

Try this:

If Not IsNull({my_field})
Then
{my_field}[5 to 6] +"/"+
{my_field}[7 to 8] +"/"+
{my_field}[1 to 4]
Else '';

Naith

You might also qualify it further to allow for bad dates:

If Not IsNull({my_field})
and
len({my_field}) = 8
Then
{my_field}[5 to 6] +"/"+
{my_field}[7 to 8] +"/"+
{my_field}[1 to 4]
Else '';

You can also eliminate nulls within the report by selecting:

File->Report Options->Convert null values to default

-k

Suggestions all worked great. I believe this fixed my problem. Thank you! Technonurse-Spokane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back