Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"A summary has been specified on a non-recurring field" 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineisland99

Instructor
Feb 13, 2007
US
I am trying to insert a summary in my report. My first sign of trouble is that the formula I want to summarize is not appearing in the "Choose field to summarize" dropdown in the summary dialog box.

I cut n' paste the formula into another formula that did show in the drop down and recieved the error in the title.

This is my formula and I am trying to insert in a group footer:

NumberVar ClsCntCls;
if GroupName ({TRACKING_FILE.f453#processor_name}) = {TRACKING_FILE_CUSTOMREPORT.f321#Closer}
then
else

Thank You

What do you want to summarise? Note that you can't summarise anything based on more than one 'row' or detail line.

A running totals is more flexible - see FAQ767-6524 if you're not already familiar with them.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Thanks, Running totals sounds like it would work, however my formula still doesnt show in the Running Totals drop downs...AHH!!! All my other formulas show except this one....Theres something about the way Crystal is viewing this value.

Thanks Again

It only uses recurring fields, meaning those at the DETAIL level, yours is specified at a group level (non recuring for every row in the data), so manually build your aggregate of it:

GroupHeader:
whilepriintingrecords;
numbervar SumMatches:=0;

Details:
whilepriintingrecords;
numbervar SumMatches;
if {TRACKING_FILE.f453#processor_name} = {TRACKING_FILE_CUSTOMREPORT.f321#Closer} then
SumMatches:=SumMatches+1

GroupFooter (display):
whilepriintingrecords;
numbervar SumMatches

-k

My guess is that all you need to do is remove the word GroupName from the original formula and then you can summarize it in an automatic running total or a regular total. Unless there is some odd reason why you must refer to the group name rather than the field it self (like specified order grouping).

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Thank you all...

I edited the formula to the below, removing GroupName and it is giving me the intended results:

NumberVar ClsCnt_Cls;
if {TRACKING_FILE.f453#processor_name} = {TRACKING_FILE_CUSTOMREPORT.f321#Closer}
then
else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back