Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"A sharing violation has occurred" error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterswan

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm building a website from my localhost and I'm getting the following message when I try to save the file in Dreamweaver MX:

"A sharing violation has occurred while accessing the following page: http:// blah blah blah"

I refresh the page and sometimes it saves and sometimes it doesn't. I close out all my browser windows and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Often it takes 10 or so tries before my work will save.

What should I do?

Thanks for any advice,

[smile] [smile] [smile]

Peter Swanson

Have you set up different areas for your files. For example your local files are in C:\folder\site and the remote host is c:\innetpup\ I did hava similar problem years ago when dw first came out.

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

See if you don't have this box checked

1.bmp

Checking this box, does not allow one to edit files someone else has opened.

[sup]
user.gif

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!

[/sup]

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try both things. I've already checked the box called "Enable File Check In and Check Out". I hope it helps. If not, maybe Cheech's idea will work. As of now, the files I'm editing are in this folder:

C:\Inetpub\
Should I put them in C:\dev\website ????

I'll try both things out and post back to this board as to the results.

I appreciate the cool advice.

[smile] [smile] [smile]

Peter Swanson

Actually, you uncheck the box. If you did have it checked leave it as it was...

And you want to place your files in
C:\Inetpub\

[sup]
user.gif

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!

[/sup]

Hello,

I moved my files off of the folder into C:/website/

I haven't had the error after 1 hour of coding yet.

I suppose another solution might have been to leave the files where they were, and test on C:/inetpub/
instead of

So the problem got solved. I won't have to worry about building pages in ColdFusion on my localhost because we develop on the dev box here at work.

I'm sure the real solution is to check some checkbox somewhere, but I have no idea where it is. [smile]

Thanks to all who helped on this one!

[smile] [smile] [smile]

Peter Swanson

I am having the same problem and found a thread on Evolt.org
But its really of no use, just thought you might be interested to know that others are having the same problem and couldn't solve it.

My situation is this: I'm running Apache Tomcat 4.1 on port 8080. The local site is located on a mapped network drive, but it makes no difference if the local site is located on a local drive, I still get the same sharing violation error! Funny thing is, it doesn't seem to effect all files for me, sometimes one file will save but the other one won't'. I've even tried to work out if it was because the file in question was open in my browser but nothing either. Now I'm wondering if Tomcat is somehow holding onto the file! I'm totally baffled anyway so someone please find a solution! [mad]

Miles

Those Micros~1 guys sure know what they doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back