Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"1611 CPU Fan Failure" bootup error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
We've received a fan failure error message "1611 CPU Fan Failure" on bootup in our ProLiant 1600. After the error appears, there's a 5 second countdown, after which it shuts off and powers up again after a few seconds. We've changed the fan, we bought one from compaq ( Part No. 122633-001 ), but we are still receiving the error. What could be wrong? Both fans are working, they spin on powering up the system. Could something be wrong with the BIOS?

Thanks.

Luis

Have you tried to power up the machine with the panel off so you can see wether the fan is powering up? If it's not the case, something else is probably broken, like the 12V supply to a fan.

Yes, the fan is powering up, and everything seems to work normally. However, I can not boot the server from the floppy because the system gives me the error before reading the floppy or before i can get into the bios. Is there any way I can get the system to read from the floppy drive first, before going on to check the fan?

Thanks for your help.

Luis

The Proliant 1600 has thermal sensor zones which monitor the environment at all times. The fan that you replaced, was it the one on the processor cage in the back or the one in the front?
If the fan replaced was the one in the back then your processor board is the point of failure because the thermal zone by the processor is overheating. Get Compaq to replace the whole Processor cage assembly, you will get a new fan and the processor cage with that and it will definately fix your problem. The BIOS is definately not your problem. When your system powers off like that then it is only your thermal sensor overheating causing the problem. Also, make sure all your side panels are on securely.
Its not likely that you replaced the fan in the front behind the IMD panel, and if you did then you replaced the wrong fan.
If you have warranty on this server go ahead and have the processor cage replaced and your issue should be taken care of.
Good luck.

That visitor above is me by that way, sorry wasn't logged in. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Yes I changed the fan at the back.
Thank you very much for your advice! I'll try changing the cage.

One last question, the server was shut down for a month working perfectly and as soon as I powered it up(2 weeks ago), the problem appeared and the computer does not stay on for more than 30 sec. Is it possible that the processor overheat that fast or is it just that the board that gives an erroneous signal? (just for curiosity!)

Thanks again!

The physical processor is not overheating yet because the thermal zone threshold will pass and power your server down before the processor can overheat and damage. This error is definately real in your case, and you are having an overheating issue with the processor cage.
Go for the replacement processor cage and im sure you will be ok.

Dunno but I have a related question. Our proliant 1600 has a powersupply with 3 power/fan (redundant?) in the back, on the lowest level. Above that is a larger fan (cage?).
All 3 leds on the power/fan indicate green but the fans do not spin. The larger fan above also does not spin.
The internal fan located in the front/highest level spins.

I get the CPU Fan Failure detected error and it shuts down in 5 seconds.

Anyone care to guess the item I need to replace?
I'm thinking the two non-spinning items.

I have exactly the same problem wit ha customers machine. Luckily for me the fan is still working, but making some strange noises, so it's only a matter of time. I purchased the same part from compaq, plugged in, fan spins up and then get the 1611 error. If I plug the old fan back in, noisey as it is, it still works and the machine will boot. Not sure how this can be a problem with the board as described above ??

I had this error on a customers machine. In this case, the fan did not work at all, so I replaced it. After I restarted the computer, I got
"Shutdown due to environmental failure",
with no further explanations. Is there any way to abort the shutdown?

I am in the same situation as choicecomputers above. My fan is still spinning but making all kinds of noicey. I purchased compaq part 122633-001 - replacment cage fan. I installed it using the sensor from the old fan. The fan spins up fine but I get the 1611 error on startup and it shuts down in 5 seconds. If I plug the old noisey fan back in it boots just fine. I noticed when I had the old fan out it had part number 387469-002. Don't know if that is the problem. I am checking the Compaq forums now. Let you all know what I find out.

Ok here is what I found out. The part that I ordered as a replacment from a third party vendor was the wrong amperage. It was .49 amp. The fan must be .80 amp. Even though it was the same part number(Compaq 122633-001) and same make and model (Nidec Beta V, TA450DC) it was different amps and it was made in Vietnam. I ordered another one from HP and it came the next day. It was the correct .80 amps and made in the good old USA. Popped it in and it ran the first time. My advice is to buy any replacement parts directly from HP/Compaq. The part was cheaper and worked!

PS: The company I ordered the other fan from was ambry.com. I will never order junk from them again.

I just had this issue with replacing a fan in a Proliant 800. The fan worked but I continued to get the 1611 error and could not boot past it. Apparently when you order part number 122633 there are different manufacturers and amperages available. The ones I've seen are .49A,.80A, and .90A from Nidec and NMB. The original was a Nidec .80A and the replacement sent to me from a third part vendor was an NMB .90A.

After the error continued I saw the post above in this thread that mentioned getting the right amperage, so I contacted the vendor. He said he'd sold hundreds of these and never had this problem. He said he had the exact make, model, and amperage that I had in there originally, so I had him send it to me. Well, it worked.

Now I can't say for sure, but I don't think the amperage is the issue. After studying the 3 fans I noticed the Nidec fan wires were spliced to have 3 blacks, 1 red, and 1 yellow and the NMB that spun but didn't register in POST was not spliced and only had the 1 black, 1 yellow and 1 red that come from the motor. Now the pin jumper is 4 pins with a key between the 3rd and 4th so as to not put it on backwards. I'm guessing that the additional wires are activating something on those pins that registers the state of the fan.

I have no idea why these non-identical fans have identical part numbers, but this is troubling to say the least. I was very close to replacing the system board or the entire server all together.

It is highly probable that the CPU system bd is faulty. I have replaced the original fans with replacement NIDEC fans and not had any problems with them

As a said in my post, make sure you check the wires that are going to the pin connector. Some fans have 3 black, 1 red, 1 yellow (the right one in my case) and some just have 1 black, 1 yellow, 1 red (the wrong one in my case). I would check this before replacing a system board.

Cgull, who did you buy your replacement fan from? Do they have a specific model number for the fan with the correct wires? If so, what is it?

Atlantisnet, I got mine from shopspares.com. If you call and ask for Andy at 877-271-5356, mention Mike Siegel and this fan issue and he'll know exactly what you're talking about.

The problem with this whole issue is that we discovered that the Compaq part number 122633 is the same for many slightly different fans. And as Andy told me, when you order this fan you generally never specify beyond the part number. They will assumably all spin, but my guess is only the ones with the 3 black, 1 red, and 1 yellow wires going to the pin connector will register the state of the CPU fan in POST. And since it's designed to shut down and go into a power cycle mode if the fan is not detected, it does you no good to have a working fan that isn't detected.

This was my experience and the information I gathered from it, so hopefully it will help.

I was wondering if anyone found out a way to bypass the enviromental shutdown?

I replaced the fan required, it NOW works but I don't have a management (yellow) cable on the fan. Therefore I need to be able to bypass or get into the BIOS which seems impossible since it reboots before full post.

Any ideas?

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back