Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quitting graphic design to learn IT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krust

Technical User
Aug 5, 2006
PT
Hello everyone,

Praise for those responsible for this website, a great source of info. Thumbs up and keep it up.

I am experiencing a dramatic career change and am hoping I can get your attention to comment on my 'quest'.

I have been a graphic designer for the past 9 years. I´m pretty good at it, yet I am 27 now, and find myself depressed and de-sensitized by this industry (advertising), and in dire need for change.

I have been in love with computers for a while now, especially the technical areas, and networking which really fascinates me. I even got involved in an open source project involving Bluetooth. However, my IT knowledge goes as far as that of a 'pro-sumer'. I understand the basics very well, in short. I love troubleshooting.

So, i´m on the brink of making my decision to quit the 'creative' industry and make a leap towards an IT career. I have enough money to get me started on entry-level certifications. I have targeted Network+ as my starting point. I am studying for it at this very moment. My exam takes place in a month.

Soon after that I will be attending an intensive hands-on training center to attain the CCNA & CCDA certification, that hopefully lands me a job (at junior level).
My ultimate goal is, of course, to attain an Expert level over the years.

I have set myself some really aggressive goals, it seems. But 'crisis precipitates change' and I feel I can get this done.

So I come to you, asking for your view on my plans. Do you think I might struggle to achieve the CCNA & CCDA? What are my chances, really? Am I making a wrong move here?

Thanks for your valuable input
Cheers,

Krust

Krust,

I would suggest that you NOT quit your current job - start your network study at night and weekends learning all there is to know and getting your certifications as well as getting some hands on experience with your own network lab of routers and switches.

At that point test the market but DO NOT leave your job until you have another, if you have been in graphic design 9 years - it will take some time before you have the certification as well as the EXPERIENCE needed to command much more then enty level wages even with a CCNA. Most Jr level jobs will want certification plus 3-5 years experience.

IT jobs are not always easy to find - do not be fooled by some job placement statements from some schools - do your homework and see what kind of jobs are available for a CCNA/CCDA in your area or where you are willing to relocate to. What experience do they want as well as what COLLEGE degrees do they want. Many upper level IT jobs want a BA or BS as well as certification and experience.

Just do your homework before you change fields - you can find just as many people that are not happy in the networking world!

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hi there,

Cheers for the reply.

Im a freelancer, which gives me enough control over my time management.
As you suggested I will not quit my job right now, even though my finances wouldn´t be very hurt by few months dedicated to heavy training.

I intend to apply for a entry level position once i got my Net+ , finish my CCNA & CCDA training course and pass that exam. Also, Im stationed in the UK which seems to have a healthy IT job market. Do you think this is a viable approach?

Also, when you mentioned my own 'network lab of routers and switches' do you mean I should actually acquire Cisco equipment? I will have access to the following, during my intensive course:

- Two Cisco® 1604 routers with WIC (serial) adapter, BRI (ISDN), Ethernet
- Cisco® 2501 series router
- Cisco® 2950 Catalyst Switch
- ISDN Simmulator

Again, thanks for your valuable insight.

Cheers,
Krust

Krust,

Yes it is a very viable approach - not sure what school you are looking into but check the Cisco site - and look for a Cisco Network Academy in your area (they are world-wide) for a bid on the costs from them to compare.

When dealing with schools - make sure that they are teaching you networking and not just to pass the exams! I have delt with students in the past who spent lots of money to learn to pass the exams and they could not get a job because they did not learn anything - and they were CCNAs !

Just make sure that you enjoy what you are doing !!

As for a lab - you can pick up a few routers and switches on eBay for very good prices - look for at least 3 2600s with the latest IOS and 2 2900 switches.

Since you said that you intend to move on to expert level one day this would mean CCNP and then CCIE - I think it is best to have your own lab that you can practice with 24/7. I have about 15 800, 2500, and 2600 routers in my home lab.

Good luck!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back