Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quietest External Hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddycd15

Instructor
Feb 3, 2004
Hi,

Do all external HDs have a fan? are there ones which don't?

Generally, I'd like to buy a very quiet external HD (i.e. not much noise when the HD is in operation, either writing something or read something).

Any suggestions would be helpful :)

As all HD's produce heat and the faster one more than others it is a general config to include 1 or 2 fans. As the enclosures are small/thin, the fans are also small and normally run fast to move air hence noise. One could replace the stock fan(usually low cost) with another quiet fan. I think that my fans are 40mm and hjere would be a suitable replacement:

As far as quiet...there are quiet PC sites that have tested this and a gen consensus is that the Samsung Spinpoint and the Seagate 7200.9 line are amongst the quietest. My bias has be toward Seagate for no good reason except that I have had little trouble with them.

I Hope This Helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks there,

yea I think I will use an enclousure for my external HD.

I want to know though what the main difference is between all the Enclosures - some are very basic with no fans, some are very big and bluky and looks "expensive".

I mean, some of the smaller lighter enclosures, wouldn't there be vibration form the HD? I keep imagaining that there won't be enough weight to keep the HD from producing too much unwanted vibration hence damaging the HD in the long term.

Thanks.

Some units have backup software & a backup button. This means pushing the backup button on the external drive will backup the PC. This is painless and easy. Just install the backup software first, then push button.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back