Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quicktime Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBigBrain

Technical User
Mar 26, 2005
US
Hey guys. I recently started getting broken quicktime icons whenever i had to open any type of movie on a website in mozilla firefox. I uninstalled quicktime and firefox and reinstalled them. Now i am getting the message quicktime cannot run without the quicktime system extention version 5 or later. I have the latest quicktime. What do i do?

Neither Worked. I was getting the error message before uninstalling quicktime and after i reinstalled it. The alternative didn't work either.

It sounds like your file associations are messed up. Possibly the easiest way to fix them, would be to reassociate everything with Windows Media Player. Open Media Player, go to Tools, Options, File Types, Select All button, OK. Now close Media Player & open Quicktime. You should get some warning about files no longer being assosicated with QT. If you want to use QT for everything, choose to reassociate them; otherwise choose no & QT will only play QT media.

If what Smah suggested, does not function, then you will have to dig deeper, meaning you will have to do some Registry work...

Basically delete the following Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc.

Then delete the Plugins from the FireFox Plugin Directory:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins" (demonstration your install may path may be different)

npqtplugin.dll
npqtplugin2.dll
npqtplugin3.dll
npqtplugin4.dll
npqtplugin5.dll
nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
QuickTimePlugin.class

Reboot and reinstall QT Alternative...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.