Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quicklaunch toolbar has GONE !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithinuk

Technical User
May 14, 2002
GB
Hello
Somehow the quicklaunch toolbar has GONE from my OS (Win98SE). When I right-click the task bar and select 'Toolbars' then 'Quick Launch' I get an error message saying

Cannot create toolbar for ''

Any advice please apart from don't give up the day job !!!!

Keith

In case I forget to say "Thank you" I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

Thanks for the info pudda but I don't have the ClassicShell key anywhere in my registry.

Any other thoughts ????

Keith

In case I forget to say "Thank you" I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

Note at the bottom of the article "To resolve this issue, delete the following registry value, log off, and then log on to the computer". Since you don't have this key, is it possible you have logged off/on of your computer differently that normal?

The test continues...

You should run System File Checker located under System Information's Tools menu. Write down the file name of the corrupted file. Restore the corrupted file from the Windows 98 CD-Rom, see Microsoft's Web Site for article "How to extract original compressed windows files" (Q129605) for help restoring the corrupted file. Restart the PC.

Hello Keith

Until I read your post I hadn't realised that I don't have a quick launch toolbar at all. I have no idea as to where it has gone or for what reason, but gone it has.

I right clicked on the bottom of the screen area and chose QUICK LAUNCH from the TOOLBAR options. You may not notice much happening, but if you look at the left of the TASKBAR (the one on the bottom right with the clock in it), do you see a width indicator? YES? left click hold and drag it to the left. Now right click and drag any icon from your desktop into that area and choose "copy here"

Kind regards

Phil

Did you notice when it disappeared (might be able to use scanreg to restore a recent registry where its working. Does the actual folder still exist (that message might mean no folder or the reg entry is pointing to a null folder). If you've got individual profiles enabled, it should be here \WINDOWS\Profiles\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch I think. Otherwise, here \WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back